I’m constantly on the look-out for fun things to do during the weeks of summer and it can be challenging to find things that don’t cost a ton of money. I imagine that most of you are also looking for some inexpensive ways to keep the kids cool and entertained as well.
Here’s a round-up of our favorite local summer activities:
- Rollarena Skating Center in Richland - Public skating in the summer Wednesday through Sunday with special family rate on Sunday evening and Wednesday afternoon
- Mid-Columbia Libraries – All the different branches in our area have tons of different story time hours, craft time, movies and other activities for kids of all ages. Be sure to check out their monthly calendar and sign up for their summer reading programs!
- Richland Library – Great story time, puppet shows and other activities, Therapy Dogs and a fun summer reading program.
- Barnes & Noble Toddler Storytime - Every Tuesday at 10 AM in the children’s section.
- Mid-Columbia Gymnastics Indoor Gym – Two huge open gyms with activities for all ages on Fowler Street or Gage Boulevard in Kennewick. 17 months and under are free, 18 months and up $5. First visit is free w/ coupon from website.
- Local Fire Station Tours – Contact your local fire station, they are happy to arrange tours for the kids of the station and the fire trucks.
- Tri-City Dust Devils – Fabulous family-friendly event! Minor league baseball games at GESA Stadium in Pasco, inexpensive tickets, Family Feast Night and tons of fun promotions.
- Tri-Cities Live at 5 Concert Series – Thursday evenings in John Dam Plaza, free concerts each week.
- Local Farmer’s Markets – We have markets in Kennewick, Pasco and Richland, all on different days of the week. They all have wonderful local produce, beef, eggs, honey, live music and much more!
Kid-Friendly Movie Series
- Regal Summer Movie Express – Every Tuesday and Wednesday morning at 10 AM, Regal Cinemas will show a family-friendly movie for just $1. Seats are first come, first serve.
- Fairchild Free Kids Movies – At Fairchild Cinemas in Pasco, every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, there will be a free movie showing. Theater opens at 9 AM and movie begins as soon as theater is filled. Schedule of movies can be found here.
- Smoovies – Free outdoor movies at the Clearwater Amphitheater at 10611 Clearwater Avenue, starting June 2nd. Pre-movie entertainment starts at 7, movies start at sundown.
- Richland Parks and Rec Summer Movie Series – Movies shown Friday nights in John Dam Plaza in Richland, starting at dusk. Bring snacks or buy from local food vendors, list of movies being shown here.
- Badger Mountain Splash Park – Great playground for all ages and splash park on Keene Road in Richland, open from Memorial Day to Labor Day
- Mid-Columbia Library Splash Park - Another fun playground and splash park at the library on Union Street in Kennewick
- Southridge Event Complex – Off of Southridge Boulevard in Kennewick, large playground and splash park
- Sturgeon Cove Playground at Howard Amon Park – Huge pirate-themed playground, toddler wading pool and zipline swing
- TRAC Sports Complex Splash Park – Behind the TRAC in Pasco near Gesa Stadium. This is a smaller playground and splash park, but not generally super busy and it’s easier to keep track of all the kiddos!
- Bill’s Berry Farm in Grandview – Bill’s is an amazing, family-friendly farm with tons of great events. Admission is free, with a few activities costing a little $$. Great U-pick options, BBQ, play area. Their Cherry Festival is June 29th and 30th and their Blueberry Daze Festival is July 6th and 7th.
- Hermiston Aquatic Center in Hermiston, OR
- Surf n’ Slide Water Park in Moses Lake
Check out this great round-up of additional activities and ideas. Please leave a comment if you see anything I’ve missed or have a fun activity you like to do with your family!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. When you click on these links, you are supporting this blog. Thanks!