As part of the Great Food Revolution of 2012, we will be sharing several recipes for pantry staples to help replace the more processed versions in your pantry. You can read more about some of the simple pantry swaps we have recently made here.
“Love” Sauce (homemade salsa)
27 oz. tomato sauce
4 oz. diced jalapenos
1 t salt
1/2 c. cilantro
3 cloves garlic
3-4 dried tepin or pequin or chile de arbol peppers
(usually found in clear, plastic bags in the hispanic food aisle)
10 oz. water
Fry the dried chilis in a small amount of oil over medium heat until browned slightly (~5 min). Add all ingredients to blender and puree.
Please share with us if you have tried something similar or have a favorite recipe!
Don’t miss out on all of our Homemade Pantry Staples recipes.
In case you missed it:
- Where our journey began and resources we have used
- Learning to read labels and eliminating hydrogenated oils
- Demystifying the produce aisle and fabulous local options
- The Big Milk Switch
- The Chicken and the Egg
- Switching to whole grains
- Making the swich to grass-fed beef or pastured poultry or pork
- Simple pantry swaps we have made