I just made this for the first time this week and I am hooked! Normally plain yogurt is too sour/bitter for me but this yogurt is the perfect flavor- especially when accompanied by sweet fruit or granola. And SO easy!
- 1/2 gallon of whole milk (I’ve always used organic)
- 1/2 cup plain full-fat yogurt to use as a “starter” (It can be store bought, or 1/2 cup reserved from a homemade batch. I used Greek-style)
- A couple of towels or a blanket
Turn your crockpot to low and pour in milk. Cover and allow to cook for two and a half hours.
After two and half hours have elapsed, turn off cooker, unplug from wall and allow to sit, still covered, for three hours.
After the three hours have gone by, add the starter yogurt and use a whisk to gently mix. Recover. Then cover and wrap the entire crockpot with a large bath towel or blanket and leave on your counter for eight hours.
After the eight hours have elapsed, your yogurt is done! You can lift the entire crockpot out of the base and keep it in the fridge until you have time to decant into smaller containers.
- Don’t mess with the yogurt unless you have to. When stirring in the plain yogurt starter, 4 or 5 figure-eight motions with the whisk is all you need.
- After 2 or 3 times of using your own yogurt as a starter, go back to 1/2 cup store-bought so the yogurt doesn’t get too runny
Side note from Melody:
This has been on my list for the last month or so. I’m thrilled that Jessie gave it a try first to pave the way, I’m totally on it!