Recipe from Bites: Yogurt in the Crockpot

by Jessie on May 3, 2012

Homemade Yogurt in the Crockpot

I just made this for the first time this week and I am hooked!  Normally plain yogurt is too sour/bitter for me but this yogurt is the perfect flavor- especially when accompanied by sweet fruit or granola.  And SO easy!

Ingredients:

• 1/2 gallon of whole milk (I’ve always used organic)
  • 1/2 cup plain full-fat yogurt to use as a “starter” (It can be store bought, or 1/2 cup reserved from a homemade batch. I used Greek-style)
  • Crockpot
  • A couple of towels or a blanket

Directions:

Turn your crockpot to low and pour in milk. Cover and allow to cook for two and a half hours.

After two and half hours have elapsed, turn off cooker, unplug from wall and allow to sit, still covered, for three hours.

After the three hours have gone by, add the starter yogurt and use a whisk to gently mix. Recover. Then cover and wrap the entire crockpot with a large bath towel or blanket and leave on your counter for eight hours.

After the eight hours have elapsed, your yogurt is done! You can lift the entire crockpot out of the base and keep it in the fridge until you have time to decant into smaller containers.

Tips:

• Don’t mess with the yogurt unless you have to. When stirring in the plain yogurt starter, 4 or 5 figure-eight motions with the whisk is all you need.
  • After 2 or 3 times of using your own yogurt as a starter, go back to 1/2 cup store-bought so the yogurt doesn’t get too runny

Side note from Melody:
This has been on my list for the last month or so.  I’m thrilled that Jessie gave it a try first to pave the way, I’m totally on it!

Jessie is the mother of three sweet kids and the author of Bites, a recipe blog that will make your mouth water.  Make sure to follow Bites on Facebook so you don’t miss a single recipe.

Savvy Sleuth May 3, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Really simple and an interesting idea. I wonder if you can add things like vanilla extract to it during the process versus afterwards? Thanks for sharing the info!

Annie May 4, 2012 at 7:37 am

I’ve been making yogurt (slightly different fashion but same idea) for over six months now – this last time I put sugar on the bottom of the pan to try and stop it from burning.. the yogurt failed.. so I would say NO :)

Beth May 3, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Savvy Sleuth – if you want vanilla or sweetened yogurt, you add 1/2 cup sweetener (I use raw honey) and 1 Tbsp. vanilla when you add the yogurt starter. Or one or the other. I’ve made it plain like above and added sweetener and vanilla. Or when you are serving it, add fruit or jam or granola. It’s amazing!

When it is made, if it is not to your desired thickness, you can strain it through cheese cloth or use a seive with coffee filters. I put mine in the seive with coffee filters (over a bowl) and put it in the fridge overnight. When I get up, the consistency is like Greek yogurt. If I want it thinner at that point, I can mix some of the whey that was strained off back in. I use the whey in anything that calls for buttermilk or put it in smoothies or freeze it to put in smoothies at a later date.

IT”S EASY (once you try it, you’ll see)… and delicious!

Annie May 4, 2012 at 7:38 am

You add your sweetner and such with yogurt? I’ve tried sugar and it failed.

I strain it with a CLEAN wash cloth inside a strainer over a bowl for 36 hours… we like it THICK

Ekta May 4, 2012 at 6:28 am

After adding the starter yogurt & covering with towel, is the crock pot still unplugged? If yes will this recipe work in cooler seasons? I make yogurt at home by boiling milk and then adding the starter, and leave it overnight on the counter but only works when the weather is warm….

Annie May 4, 2012 at 7:39 am

I do mine year round on the counter (I use a cast iron pot – bring milk to 190 – cool to 120 – add yogurt mix in – cover pot with lid and two towels). NEVER had an issue and we keep our house at 64 degrees :) sometimes I put it in the oven (cold) but lately with a pregnancy belly its easier to leave it on the counter – the towels really do insulate.

marie May 5, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Okay, I have to try this. Question, what’s the shelf life of homemade yogurt. That looks like it makes a lot

Bethany September 18, 2012 at 7:40 am

I second Marie’s question. How long can this yogurt stay in the fridge before going bad?

Jessie September 18, 2012 at 7:58 pm

It lasts for about three weeks.

Nicole February 23, 2013 at 8:33 am

Has anyone else used any other kind of milk besides whole milk? I can’t wait to try this for my son, he eats yogurt everyday!

leslie April 15, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Other than making it yourself, does anyone know the financial benefits of making yogurt yourself? It seems that whole milk is expensive and high fat yogurt- for the starter- is too, so why do this? Just want to know if it’s worth my time.

Emilie April 15, 2013 at 7:32 pm

I can make a gallon of whole milk yogurt for the cost of a gallon of organic whole milk. Basically, for $5 I can make a gallon of yogurt, if I pay full price for the milk. And, I usually just make it with clearanced organic whole milk for about $2 – $3 per gallon. The large tubs of yogurt are 32 ounces so in order for it to be cheaper, you’d have to pay $1.25 or less for a 32 ounce tub of yogurt, which I’ve never seen before. I figure at a low sale price, I pay $3 for a tub or organic whole milk yogurt, or $12 for four (to equal one gallon). You can’t beat the price of making your own. If you don’t do organic, it’s dramatically cheaper.

Jana September 27, 2014 at 3:58 pm

What size crockpot do you use?