Things I am Not and Likely Never Will Be

by Melody on March 8, 2012

I’ve had this idea for a post rattling around in my brain for months now, but could never quite formulate where I wanted to go with it.  Since March 8th is International Women’s Day, it seemed as good a day as any to share some things I’ve come to learn about myself.

I recently read The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin and took away some amazing things from the book.  Sharing some of those wonderful things is another post I’ve been tossing around that never seems to quite get done, although I did share the most fabulous idea of all with you, The One-Sentence Journal.

She mentions in the book that in order to embrace her own happiness, she had to let go of her idealistic view of herself.  She had to give up thinking she was a different kind of person than she really was and just “Be Gretchen”.  Obviously, being Gretchen isn’t going to work for me, but it got me thinking about my own life and personality a little.

I know there are things that I sometimes envy about other folks, like their ability to sew or their ability to scrapbook for hours holed up in a room with several other women.  I love the end result of what they accomplish and wish I could do the same, but I don’t ENJOY those things.  Embracing that about myself has been quite freeing.  While I do love a beautiful scrapbook and would love to want to make my own, I don’t.  Part of me likes to pretend that I do, but I don’t.  What this means for me is that I need to find a form of recording memories that I do enjoy.  Hence, the One-Sentence Journal.

While my husband and I were driving somewhere and I was itching to do something (this happens a lot), I started writing out a list of things that I am just NOT and things I don’t enjoy doing.

• Watching the news - I do enjoy knowing things and having an idea of what is going on in the world, apparently I need to find a different venue to get my information from.
  • Reading the newspaper - Seeing a theme here?  Maybe I really don’t want to know what’s going on.
  • Fine art or classical music - Not at all.  I thought maybe I would grow into this as I got older.  Nope.  Give me a good Jay-Z song anyday.
  • Knitting - Or crocheting.  Or sewing.  Or doing anything with fabric.  Or most things crafty.  I like the end result and I like what other people do with these things, but I have zero desire to do them.
  • Napping - When I was pregnant with our first son, people always told me (as they likely told you) “Sleep when the baby sleeps”.  This sounds nice, but when you are the world’s worst napper and all you do is lay there, stare at the ceiling and get increasingly annoyed about all the things you aren’t getting done?  Maybe it’s not for you.  I can count on one hand the number of naps I’ve ever taken.  And it’s pretty much when I’ve had the flu.  Which brings me to my next bullet point.
  • Down time - I don’t know what to do with it.  I don’t enjoy it.  The only time I really enjoy down time is when I’m on vacation, away from my home, everything at home is mostly done and clean and my to-do list is hidden under lock and key.  I wish I could sit and enjoy some nothingness, I really do.
  • Decorating my home or myself - Oh, how I wish I enjoyed these things.  I love to have a nice-looking home and I love to wear cute clothes that fit well, but I hate picking them out.  I hate trying to figure out what works together and what doesn’t.  I want to take all the extra money from the couch cushions and hire someone to beautify my life.  Seriously, dress me, paint my house, pick out my furniture.  Who wants the job?

I promise you, there are more.  These were just the ideas I was able to come up with in a 5-minute burst.  They just poured off my pen.  Some of these things I accepted a long time ago, but some are new.  Now that they are embraced, I can move past the idea of how great they might be and focus on the things I really love.  While I love my children with the fire of a thousand suns, quite a few of these are things I love just for myself.

In no particular order.

Being the mother of boys.  Being the wife to my husband.  My mother.  Watching baseball.  Listening to baseball on the radio (I almost prefer this). Playing fantasy football.  College football.  Tailgating college football.  P90X.  Every single holiday and celebrating with dessert.  Eating REALLY good food.  Eating more really good food.  Making really good food for people.  Las Vegas.  Finding the perfect gift for someone.  MOPS.  A clean house.  Wearing leggings every day. Coffee.  Sour Patch Kids.

Fun, upbeat music.  Music that reminds me of high school.  Pretty much any song that has a good beat.  Driving by myself and listening to a really good song.  Listening to Bohemian Rhapsody anywhere.  The fact that my 3-year old likes to rock out to Maroon 5 and Guns n’ Roses.  Beer.  Ice-cold beer and BBQ on a hot summer day.  A really good margarita.  Hot summer days.  Watching baseball on a hot summer day.

Eating things from our garden, especially when they’ve been picked by my kids.  Watching my kids sneak plain lettuce out of the salad bowl.  My friends.  Parks without pea gravel. Using the word “Dude” in everyday conversation.  The movie Troop Beverly Hills.  Eating cookie dough, which is generally better than the cookies themselves.  Learning new things.  Teaching my kids new things.  Finding new things to love.

Your turn.  What are some of the things you are definitely not?  What are the things that you seriously rock at?

Jenny March 8, 2012 at 8:29 pm

I am not a housekeeper or a cook. I can’t make my house or myself look pretty. Makeup baffles me. I hate watching the news or discussing politics. I don’t finish crafts that I start. I’m not even close to being a health nut. I can’t draw. I will never be a party girl. Rock star will never be a viable option for me. I don’t like sports. I can’t stand the taste of alcohol. I pretend to be outgoing, but it’s just an act (and I’m not a good actor, either!). I can’t run a business or self-promote to save my life.

I AM a photographer (even if I just work for donations, and not often, because of that self-promotion thing). I can make my daughters’ hair look cute. I love music. I write things that make other people laugh. I go barefoot all summer. I’m pretty good with a crying baby. I’m super good at napping. I can teach people what I’ve learned. I need time in the city and wide open spaces. I like balloons and Chucks and laughter and my mom. Warm sunshine, freckles, and sparkly water make me happy. I’m very good at procrastinating.

Melody March 8, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Brilliant! Thanks for sharing, I love it.

Brenelly March 9, 2012 at 9:38 am

I have so much to do, but I also know that this will totally help me right now!! I hate being a full-time student, part-time working mother of a 19 month-old boy. I hate being an international student with so many immigration restrictions. I hate cigarette smoke, I cannot stand alcohol, I hate not having my mom alive and not being able to talk to her. I hate not having time to do my hair, nails, or nicely put make up on. I hate not having time to rest, do things that I enjoy, and specially not having time or energy to be with my boy doing what he likes. I don’t like to hear bad news, I don’t like to hear people complain about the few things they have to do, or how hard they are.

I absolutely love to work out, I love fruits and veggies, I love desserts (Ice cream, chocolate, cookie dough), I love skinless, boneless chicken breasts, I love makeup and being able to put it on nicely. I like perfumes and shoes. I like saving money and using coupons. I enjoy dancing Latin music. I love traveling to exotic places, tropical places, or any place new. I love reading good books and magazines. My passion is teaching people how to improve their lives. I love to be with my toddler and play with him. I love to learn new things and then help others with that knowledge. My favorite hobby is facepainting, and it is even better when I am able to make money with it. I love spring and summer and vacations from school. I love my husband and being all together as a family.

sandra March 9, 2012 at 10:02 am

I hate ironing, hate being cold, hate dry skin and super hate kids that vomiting on the furniture and the floor! I like to clean but hate to vaccum or dust! I hate allergies- dust, pet hair, grass, pollen! I hate sticky floors, and speakly publicly! I hate traffic and annoying people! I am a mainly quiet type of person but since my Hubby is even more quiet I tend to be the loud one is the family!

However I love being organized, write it down and plan it out! I do love to take naps, I love Jesus, My hubby and my kids! I love just being a Mommy! I love to save $! Couponing is my new love! Love to go bargain shopping, veering to clearance rack in every store! Yard saleing is a passion! Love watching football! Love telling other ppl about good bargains too! Love the beach, wish I could live there! Like to scrapbbok but run out of time in the day!

Rachell Newman March 9, 2012 at 10:08 am

I don’t like to wear swimsuit, i think Winter is beautiful but I hate it. I envy stays home MOM, I don’t like to talk to people that tells Jokes bec. I pretend to laugh even when I don’t get what they are talking about;) I don’t like reading ( i should though maybe it will help my grammar someday) I’m not a perfect mom, I’m not so crafty like some people I know ( but I wish I’am) I don’t nap, I don’t relax around clattered house! I’m not a sports lover. I like to pretend I can take good Photos ( I’m working on it though) I can’t wear eye make up. and making goals that are unrealistc sometimes.

I love to sing, running is something I love to do on my downtime, I love tickling my kids and hear them giggles. I do love talking about life with the hubby:) I love hanging out with friends and family, I love to budget and manage our money we dont have… Cooking for my family every night. Summer gets me all excited. Vacations and traveling is something I always wanted for my family. love decorating and moving furnitures around my house. I like clean and free clattered house. My life is simple and I love it.

Thank you Mel for letting me expressed myself.

Brenda March 10, 2012 at 5:27 am

I don’t wear makeup and will only wear a dress if it’s too hot to wear pants. I can’t sing, but I do anyway when I’m alone. I don’t get Sci-Fi, Fantasy, or Musicals. I feel like it’s a waste of time to watch movies. If I could rearrange my schedule I would sleep until 2pm and go to bed around 5am. I hate exercising and diets.
I love fresh produce and candy. I have the tendancy to give away my stockpiled items and have to pay full price for those items when I run out. I like to cook simple meals for my family. I play hide n seek with my cats. I enjoy being alone. I sing jingles bells in my head when I get nervous. I could eat popcorn for dinner every night for the rest of my life.

andrea March 10, 2012 at 6:57 am

I am not a housekeeper or a maid (though feel like it sometimes), classical pianist or solo violinist. I don’t like movies much more than once a year. Don’t like to exercise in the gym, has to be the great outdoors. Have no idea how to take a good picture and even worse at scrapbooking. Still learning how to cook after 13+ years of marriage. Envy all stay at home moms.
I love musicals, especially when my sisters are in them. Always wanted to be on stage, but no good at walking and talking. I love being mom and even more being a wife! I am a violinist and love to play the piano, even if it’s poorly. I am a workaholic, but love to be home with my kids. I love to iron and have washing dishes. Laundry is one of my favorite past times. Love to save money and use coupons. Sometimes for things I don’t need. I love Saturday mornings and pancakes with my boys. Sneaking ice cream after the kids are in bed and watching trashy tv with my husband. Most of all I love Jesus and my Bible. Also, my free shredder i got last weekend and this blog. Thx