February Fitness and Nutrition Goals Update

by Melody on March 7, 2012

So many of you have said that you enjoy reading my sporadic fitness updates to keep you motivated (or to try and get you motivated), that I decided to make it a monthly feature.  This helps me as well to remember what in the world we did for the previous month.  It helps keep me on track and realize when we need to step it up a little more or be more proactive about our goals.

Fitness Goals

For the month of February, we jumped into the second phase of P90X2, which is far more strength training than the first round.  My husband and I have been working out together since the beginning of January and it has been going well.  We struggled at first to find a time for him to work out, as he goes to work so early in the morning.  We finally bit the bullet and decided he would exercise immediately after he got home and that seems to be working pretty well.  I honestly thought that the “Witching Hour” would turn our house upside down, but the kids have totally adapted.  For the most part.

For myself, I have totally noticed that I don’t push myself enough when it comes to weight limits.  I have been trying to add a little extra weight to each workout and I have always been able to manage more than I thought I could.  I have a friend who does Crossfit and she and I talk about how empowering it is to see what our bodies are capable of.  I was terrified of weight training before I started P90X, but now it is one of my favorite parts of the workout.

Since I have been doing P90X for about 8 months and lost the majority of my weight, my journey right now is more about maintenance.  My husband, on the other hand, just started in January and looks like a completely different person.  He has worked so hard and has lost about 16 pounds and countless inches.  We finally bought him new jeans to wear to work a few days ago.  When I saw the new jeans on him in the correct size, I realized how much his old jeans looked like clown pants.  Poor guy.

My husband said he didn’t mind me sharing his amazing pictures with you.  Be warned, he doesn’t have a shirt on in these pictures if that is offensive to anyone.  Click here to check them out.

10-Day Herbal Cleanse

It’s official.  We did it.  Before you scoff at the term cleanse, let me tell you 2 things.

1. I am the skeptic of all skeptics.  Even though Emilie recommended it and I trust her just about more than I trust myself, I was skeptical through the entire process.  For me to do something like this, it’s saying something.
  2. This cleanse is not some gimmick-y “Only Eat Brown Rice and Jelly Beans for 10 Days and You’ll Lose 30 Pounds” type of program.  You eat real things in real proportions.  This is the ONLY reason we chose to do it.

My husband was involved in a weight-loss challenge for work and we’d been tossing around the idea of doing this cleanse, so we decided there wasn’t going to be a better time.  Basically, the idea is to get rid of toxins in your body by cutting out dairy, sugar, most carbs, most fats.  Nothing processed at all.  We ate a lot of brown rice, lean proteins, vegetables, fruits, a few healthy fats and TONS of water.

Everything was really well spelled out for us, including portion control based on your weight.  By eating the specified foods and specified amounts, the idea was to get our metabolism up to peak level.

Day 1?  Pretty hard.  Grumpy and tired? Absolutely.  About Day 3 or 4, both my husband and I started feeling pretty good.  It was really wonderful to go through the day and never feel like we overate or ate the wrong things or regretted our food choices.  I felt like I was able to focus on the other important things in our life.  Food was basically a non-issue.  In the end, both my husband and I lost about 5 pounds in 10 days.  This was huge for me as I haven’t lost any weight in about 6 months.  This definitely told me that some of my eating habits had been hindering how I feel.

A few things I learned in those 10 days:

• I snack WAY too much at night.  During the cleanse, I was rarely hungry at night, so obviously I just snack out of boredom.
  • We need to eat more for breakfast.  Yikes.  I thought I was doing well with a bowl of Kashi in the morning, but I was often hungry again by 9 AM.  We need to add in some more complex calories in the morning to sustain us throughout the day.
  • For both my husband and I, we have been trying to pack healthy snacks when we are going to be out and about.  We’re trying not to wait until we get too hungry and then just eating whatever is near us (read: Goldfish crackers from my kid’s snack cups).
  • I have far more willpower to cut out sugar than I ever possibly thought.  The cravings were pretty tough the first few days, but seemed to go away after Day 3 or 4.
  • I have a serious relationship with food.  We did this over Valentine’s Day and I literally could not wrap my head around how to celebrate.  I can’t make cupcakes or fun food?  What?  I honestly started to feel depressed towards the end of the cleanse.  One of the ways I express my love for my family is by making them fun and delicious food and this felt a little stifling.
  • Processed foods really do have some magical ingredients.  I’ve always read that there is something in them that makes you continue to feel hungry and want more.  During the cleanse, we were very rarely hungry and rarely did we want to sit down and gorge on raw almonds.  After the cleanse and reintroducing a few not-so-fantastic foods, we feel hungry all the time no matter how much we eat.

I’m not going to speak to the supplements used in the cleanse or what they do or how they work.  If you’re interested in any of that information, you can contact Emilie.  I’m just telling you that we were extremely happy with not only our results, but the knowledge that has come with it.

If you want to see my before/after pictures, click here.  Again, warning.  I am in a sports bra.

Nutrition goals

Last month, we started swapping out coconut oil for vegetable/canola oil and have really enjoyed it.  The only downfall I can find is that I can’t seem to figure out how to liquify it in the microwave without making it explode.  At least it smells good.

We also started swapping out whole wheat flour for all-purpose.  In most recipes, we do half and half and it has worked pretty well.  I did find that a few baking recipes were a little dry with whole wheat, so we tried whole wheat pastry flour instead.  WAY better.  Less dense and still seemed to retain the moisture, which was the problem we ran into before.  One of our new favorite recipes are these Whole Wheat Waffles, we subbed in coconut oil and almond milk and used whole wheat pastry flour like the recipe calls for.  My kids request them for every meal.

For the month of March, our big change is switching to organic milk.  It is a pricey one, but we don’t drink a ton of milk around here.  My two toddlers drink some in the morning and before bed and my husband and I have started using a little almond milk in our cereal.  We have found that the best price for organic milk is at Fred Meyer, even beats Costco!

You can read all about our fitness/health goals for 2012 here.

I’d love to hear how you are doing with your goals this month!  If you are just starting out on your journey, let us know what is keeping you motivated.  I definitely think it’s hardest in the beginning to create and stick with a routine.  Share with us your success stories! Or your not so successful stories, we’re here to motivate.

Emilie March 7, 2012 at 7:54 pm

You should post Mike’s pictures! With his permission of course. :o)

Emilie March 7, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Nevermind, you did. And I have got to stop making smiley faces!

Laura March 7, 2012 at 8:16 pm

We have recently done the same with Coconut oil but I am having trouble figuring out the cheapest place to buy it. Any suggestions?

Emilie March 7, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Tropical Traditions is where I have gotten it in 5gallon buckets to make it the cheapest. I’d love to hear what other people say!

Kim March 7, 2012 at 8:29 pm

I melt the coconut oil on the stovetop- it takes only a minute or two, and then I can wipe it out and usually use it without washing, depending on what I’m cooking next :)

I am doing the JM 30 day shred again, hoping this time it sticks. Every time I’ve started before, I’ve either caught a horrible cold or gotten mastitis… so I’m going on two weeks now and am good so far! Exercising really works wonders with energy levels.

After vacationing a few weeks ago, we felt like we needed to “catch up” on vegetables, so since then we’ve been eating 2 different vegetables (at least) for dinners. It’s been nice and we are going to try to keep it up!

Emilie March 7, 2012 at 9:12 pm

That’s a good idea to use the same pan, I just microwave mine but it dirties a bowl.

amber March 7, 2012 at 9:35 pm

I use the stove top for mine as well ;)

Lora March 7, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Love this post! So fun to hear about your fitness and nutrition adventures! I have been in and out of the latest health food fads for about 7 years now. It’s interesting to me how so much of the research conflicts itself and how quickly things change. For example, when I first got into the health food scene, it was all about soy. Everything soy was considered healthy. Now soy is out and coconut milk and almond milk are in. I could site many similar examples. Anyway, I am just curious if maybe you’d consider talking a little about your reasons for switching out foods, since you’re sharing what you’re switching out. For example, why coconut oil rather than olive oil? What are the health benefits? I haven’t been in the health food circles for a little while now so I don’t have a clue why it would be healthier. I promise I don’t want to start a debate or anything, I just truly would like to know your (or Emily’s) opinion of what the benefits are to what you are changing in your diet. What do you think??

Emilie March 7, 2012 at 9:07 pm

More information coming soon! As soon as I have a minute. But, in the meantime this lady is obviously super opinionated (maybe a little offensive even) but I pretty much agree with what she says and it addresses some of it. http://realfoodfamily.com/healthy-body/10-dumbest-things-to-eat/

Our family follows the book Real Food as much as we can which is why we have made some pretty big changes.

We use olive oil, butter and coconut oil for the most part for oils. We love EVOO. I mainly use coconut for baking and a little cooking.

Emilie March 7, 2012 at 9:08 pm

This is the book I speak of http://amzn.to/zJcNFG

Lora March 7, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Thank you so much Emilie!! I will definitely read up. It’s always interesting to me why certain things are considered good or bad. Thanks!

Melody March 8, 2012 at 5:13 am

Oh Lora, I totally agree. This is why we’ve made changes so slowly, as I want to do the research for myself and make changes that I really feel are valid and worth the extra money and time. We are trying to be really informed but there is SO much information (and misinformation) out there, that’s I’m just trying to do what feels right for our family. I would love to explore a series in the future about some of the choices we’ve made, good idea!

Rachell newman March 7, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Awesome job Mel! When will i see you in person? You motivate me just reading your post. I might have to try the coconut oil, sounds good:)

Rachell newman March 7, 2012 at 8:38 pm

How much do you weight now? if you dont mind me asking:)

Melody March 7, 2012 at 8:39 pm

After the 10 days of the cleanse, I was down to 128 which was CRAZY! I’m back up to about 134, which is right around where I’ve been at for about six months. I tipped over 200 when I was pregnant with Cole, so I’m feeling pretty good!

amber March 7, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Melody you are absolutely adorable and looking great!

Sara March 8, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Wow! great job-you do look wonderful! And I’ll put a shout out to your hubby…he looks years younger! :)

Myranda b March 16, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Do you have any sample daily menus, wih he whole foods?

Trina April 6, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Just reading this now, since it was linked from another post. I’d also be very interested to hear how you & Emilie decided upon the substitutions and eliminations that you did. I’ve been really trying to eat more veggies … and had an *aha!* moment that in order to do that, I need to eat LESS meat! It seems totally obvious now, but for so many years meals have revolved around the meat and veggies were a side-dish. I’m making some changes to my habits, but changing hubby’s are not so simple. So please chalk this up as another request to continue this discussion in future posts! Thanks!

Trina April 7, 2012 at 9:48 pm

I spotted Bob’s Red Mill whole wheat pastry flour at Yoke’s for $2.99/5# bag. The regular AND the organic bags. I figured that was a pretty good deal – especially since their regular price was double that. I *think* the sale price was good thru the end of April.

pletcherwqv June 10, 2013 at 6:30 am

锘縆eeper of Keys

You don’t have to be pretty. You don’t owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don’t owe it to your mother, you don’t owe it to your children, you don’t owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked “female”.

Erin (from A Dress A Day)

When I was just a little girl, I asked my mother, “What will I be? Will I be pretty? Will I be pretty? Will I be pretty? What comes next? Oh right, will I be rich?” Which is almost pretty depending on where you shop. And the pretty question infects from conception, passing blood and breath into cells. The word hangs from our mothers’ hearts in a shrill fluorescent floodlight of worry. “Will I be wanted? Worthy? Pretty?” But puberty left me this funhouse mirror dryad: teeth set at science fiction angles, crooked nose, face donkey-long and pox-marked where the hormones went finger-painting. My poor mother. “How could this happen? You’ll have porcelain skin as soon as we can see a dermatologist. You sucked your thumb. That’s why your teeth look like that! You were hit in the face with a Frisbee when you were 6. Otherwise your nose would have been just fine! “Don’t worry. We’ll get it fixed!” She would say, grasping my face, twisting it this way and that, as if it were a cabbage she might buy. But this is not about her. Not her fault. She, too, was raised to believe the greatest asset she could bestow upon her awkward little girl was a marketable facade. By 16, I was pickled with ointments, medications, peroxides. Teeth corralled into steel prongs. Laying in a hospital bed, face packed with gauze, cushioning the brand new nose the surgeon had carved. Belly gorged on 2 pints of my blood I had swallowed under anesthesia, and every convulsive twist of my gut like my body screaming at me from the inside out, “What did you let them do to you!” All the while this never-ending chorus droning on and on, like the IV needle dripping liquid beauty into my blood. “Will I be pretty? Will I be pretty? Like my mother, unwrapping the gift wrap to reveal the bouquet of daughter her $10,000 bought her? Pretty? Pretty.” And now, I have not seen my own face for 10 years. I have not seen my own face in 10 years, but this is not about me. This is about the self-mutilating circus we have painted ourselves clowns in. About women who will prowl 30 stores in 6 malls to find the right cocktail dress, but haven’t a clue where to find fulfillment or how wear joy, wandering through life shackled to a shopping bag, beneath those 2 pretty syllables. About men wallowing on bar stools, drearily practicing attraction and everyone who will drift home tonight, crest-fallen because not enough strangers found you suitably fuckable. This, this is about my own some-day daughter. When you approach me, already stung-stayed with insecurity, begging, “Mom, will I be pretty? Will I be pretty?” I will wipe that question from your mouth like cheap lipstick and answer, “No! The word pretty is unworthy of everything you will be, and no child of mine will be contained in five letters. “You will be pretty intelligent, pretty creative, pretty amazing. But you, will never be merely ‘pretty’.”

As anti-choice state legislators introduce more and more abortion restrictions, the testimony for and against such bills is becoming increasingly important in influencing final votes. In some cases, such as the recentIndiana medication abortion law hearing, the divide between real science and anti-choice “science” is clear when anti-choicers are unable to find even one practicing medical professional to show up to defend the bill, while opponents are able to recruit numerous doctors to discuss its problems.

“As part of his ongoing attempt to restrict abortion access to low-income women, Alaska Sen. John Coghill recently video conferenced national medical professionals to testify in a recent committee hearing; they all claimed abortion is never medically necessary and is harmful to a woman’s physical and mental health.” [url=http://www.hellodresses.com]evening dresses Australia[/url]