Two Toddlers vs One Mom: On Pay-Per-View Tonight

by Melody on February 1, 2012

I’ve had a few friends mention to me lately that they get discouraged reading about the perfect lives of Moms and their brilliant, well-behaved children.  I did read recently that people tend to glamourize their lives on Facebook and other online forums, so it can be easy to get discouraged.  If you read about a Mom who makes her children homemade waffles every morning, volunteers 3 hours every day, makes homemade cookies for the neighbors every weekend, never fights with her husband and sings carols at nursing homes every Tuesday all while maintaining a perfect body and hairstyle, you may start to feel like your life is lacking somewhere.

What we generally don’t see is the chaos that often reigns in the house of parents with young children.  I’d love to think that our lives are perfect, that nobody ever gets frustrated, that nobody ever flings their spaghetti on the walls, that nobody ever goes far too long between hair cuts.  I don’t know who lives like that, it’s definitely not our family.  Perfect wouldn’t suit us.  Perfect wouldn’t suit toddlers.

Just for a twist, I thought I would share what an average day in our life looks like, warts and all.

5 AM – Woke up to get some blogging done.

6:30 AM – This is the time I generally try to start working out.

6:45 AM – Finally convinced myself to work out.

6:46 AM – Both kids woke up, one with a diaper hanging almost completely off.

7 AM – Squeezed in my workout, while dodging a rogue Zhu Zhu Baby.

8 AM – Both boys wanted to eat breakfast at the picnic table.  Great idea, until both plates got dumped on the floor.

8:15 AM – Squeezed in a shower.  One child turned Bubble Guppies on and off, the other just yelled.

8:20 AM – Had a conversation with myself about adjusting my attitude.

9 AM – Getting ready for a lunch play date.  30 minutes to potty, put on shoes and coats and get out of the house.  In the middle of getting ready, I had to glue a plastic googly eye on a paper turkey from Thanksgiving that I can’t seem to get rid of.

9:30 AM – Heard my 3-year old’s two favorite songs on the radio in the car: Party Rockets (Party Rock) and Moons like Jagger (you can probably figure this one out).

12 PM – One babe did not want to leave. Left the play date with no socks, shoes or hat, despite the fact that there was still snow on the ground.

12:15 PM – Youngest son fell asleep on the way home from our play date, despite my best efforts in keeping him awake.  Talking, loud music, rolling the windows down and bribing with snacks did not work.

1 PM – Both boys down for nap.  Made a cup of tea, sat down to blog.  Youngest babe woke up screaming after about an hour with the major teething blues.

2:30 PM – Both babes awake.  Begging for croutons for a snack.  Yes, croutons.

4 PM – Everyone needing serious distraction, so turned on Pandora and had a Bruno Mars dance party.  Sometime during our party, a balloon got tangled in the ceiling fan.  Mom to the rescue.

4:30 PM – Attempting to make dinner while Dad does his work out.  Boys run around the house in circles arguing over the same car.  Because apparently we only have one?

4:45 PM – Made the boys a fort out of blankets.  They played for about 30 seconds before someone got pushed down and was screaming.  I don’t even remember who.  Finally got the chicken in the oven and played a mean session of Mr. Potato Head while it was baking.

5:30 PM – Dinner time.  Someone taught our oldest son how to “Cheers” with his cup.  Spent the next half an hour saying “Cheers” to everyone at the table.  We shoveled in bites in between.

6 PM – While cleaning up dinner, I hear the boys laughing hysterically in their room.  Asked my oldest son what his brother was doing to make him laugh so hard.  He says “He’s teaching me how to learn!”.  Naturally.

7:30 PM – Babes in bed. Our oldest son was able to recite most of Green Eggs & Ham by memory, which was a pretty sweet moment.  His “Favorite Part of the Day” was cleaning up the house.  What?

8 PM – 9:30 PM – Blogged until I couldn’t keep my eyes open anymore, spent the rest of the evening watching my husband flip between the MLB Channel and DIY.

Pretty thrilling stuff.  All in a day’s work.  It actually was pretty entertaining writing down the details of our day.  I forget the majority of the “small things”.  I’ve been keeping a one-sentence journal to record some of the more hilarious moments (which I seriously think everyone should do), but this made for a fun experiment.

I’d love to hear your favorite small moments.  The life of a parent sure makes for an interesting story each day, one that never repeats itself or EVER gets dull.

Miss Jay February 1, 2012 at 5:40 pm

I love it! I wish every blog would read like this!

Last week the plan was to sit down with a cup of coffee, breakfast, and my bible while the kids ate breakfast. Then a shower, lunches packed, and out the door by 8:30.

What happened instead: Me supressing hormone induced tears while cleaning up a toilet overflow from a backed up pipe in our neighborhood. (I still shudder at gross factor) Even if there was time for breakfast and coffee, my appetite was gone. Sadly there was no time for a shower either, though I think I scrubbed the top 10 layers of skin off my hands. We did make it out the door on time, with lunches packed.

My attitude did a complete 180 when my oh-so-adorable 4 year old Tinker Bell asked in complete oblivion “Mama you got pissy dust on you today?”

“Yes, yes I do.”

Melody February 2, 2012 at 10:16 pm

This makes me laugh every time I read it!

Kelsey February 1, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Dear Friend…thank you for sharing this. While I don’t see myself EVER getting up at 5am its good to know I’m not alone in the mama mayhem! Keep up the great blogging, I look forward to all of your posts :)

Julie February 1, 2012 at 7:12 pm

for a week now my kids have played with fabric scraps that got created while cutting fabric for a quilt. Who needs to buy them fancy toys?!?
My biggest joy comes from seeing my two girls (4 and 1 1/2) give each other good night hugs before they get tucked into bed.

Catherine February 1, 2012 at 7:27 pm

I love it and thank you!

Trina February 1, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Thanks for sharing Melody! And you too, Miss Jay!

Romany February 1, 2012 at 8:31 pm

@ Miss Jay “pissy dust” is my new favorite phrase! I would have busted up if my 4 year old said that!

Keri February 1, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Actually sounds so much like my days. Only, I CANNOT bring myself to get up so early to work on my blog, even though I WANT to and really NEED to. How long have you been doing that and what’s your secret, Melody? ;)

Melody February 3, 2012 at 8:13 pm

It seriously took me a LONG time to get to this point. I tried to visit some of the things that were making me frustrated as a parent and being stressed about the blog was a big one. Some of my posts are semi-time sensitive and seeing them pop up on my email after my kids were already awake caused me some anxiety. I also realized that I am a WAY better Mom when I can have some quiet time in the morning with a cup of coffee. I clean out my inbox, work on a few posts or things I’ve been trying to finish and I’m good to go for the day.

It does help that my husband gets up for work at 5, so it’s not just me trying to get myself up. It truly has made a world of difference. I can barely make it past 9:30 at night though. Which is fine, because I’m a much better blogger with a cup of coffee.

Another huge help, the timer on my coffee pot. :)

Lora February 1, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Loved this post! SO real and honest. More of the same here at our house. My 8 month old baby girl pooped through three pairs of pants today. Three separate times. My 3 year old is going through a phase where he pees his pants all day long for attention. Oh the laundry!! And I’m struggling with health issues so much that at least a couple days a week I’m pretty much useless. It’s so refreshing to hear that other peoples’ lives are not perfect too. Thanks for posting. :)

Melody February 2, 2012 at 10:17 pm

My 3-year old is doing the same thing! What is the deal? I was chalking it up to the 1/2 year craziness. :)

Lora February 2, 2012 at 11:13 pm

I wish I had some insight for you…unfortunately I am the WORST potty trainer ever. I’ve read all the books, tried everything – yet both of my boys still struggle. We’ve tried punishments, rewards, ignoring it and everything in between. If you find the magic answer, PLEASE, you must tell me!!

loretta October 13, 2013 at 5:51 am

the magic answer is to wait. it’s ok if they are not potty trained until they are 4. my children were the same way. one was completely potty trained, even through the night, before her 3rd birthday. 3 months later her baby sister was born, and she completely reversed. this was not just for attention, she was stressed. it took a couple of weeks to repotty train her, but it was another year before she got through the night again. it’s ok.

Erica February 2, 2012 at 1:50 am

Holy cow, I absolutely enjoyed this. Sounded like a day in my life a couple of years ago. Now we throw homeschooling into that mix. I love the idea of a one sentence journal. Just to remember everything. Awesome. :)

Angela February 2, 2012 at 2:56 pm

This was a great great post. Thank you for sharing.

Nikki February 2, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I loved this post. Yesterday I was dyeing my hair at home, the timer went off to rinse, but right at that moment, the kids started fighting about something or other and when we finally got it straightened out, and when I was able to rinse the top of my head (where all my gray is, so naturally where 90% of the hair dye went) was about three shades lighter than the rest. It looked like a seagull ate a bunch of copper pennies and then did a ginourmous doo on my head.
Normal life with kids is filled with these real moments. These are the things that you’ll look back on when your kids are older and all have a laugh about it together.
Miss Jay-I started laughing until I had tears in my eyes about the “pissy dust”!!! Hilarious!!!

Melody February 2, 2012 at 10:18 pm

I literally laughed out loud when I read this the first time. You should be a writer, that was quite the use of descriptive words! And quite the story to tell a few years from now. Thanks for sharing!

Stephanie February 3, 2012 at 6:01 pm

One of my three 1/2 year olds starting pooping his pants on purpose over the summer. He was just looking for more attention. After I figured that out I cleaned him up quickly and pretended like nothing had really happened. Then I planned a few one on one outings with him and he stopped doing it! Might not work for everyone, but worth a shot if you’ve got someone wetting on purpose.

becky February 3, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Thanks for keeping it real. My boys are always fighting over the same toy; apparently I should have bought 2 of EVERYTHING. Love the part about keeping you child up on the way home from a playdate, so they sleep at home. Been there so many times.

Rachel S February 3, 2012 at 7:16 pm

how did I ever miss this post! Thank you. You are really one of the more real bloggers out there and seriously one of my favorite!

mona February 3, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Just cracking up and so glad to hear we mamas are not alone!

Still chuckling over “pissy dust” :-)

Jill February 10, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Thanks for the post…came at a great time as today has been such a long day of wetting pants, fighting, and food issues along with being pregnant with our 3rd.

I have two boys and have boughten two of a lot of toys and they still will fight over them. So, you just can’t win I’ve decided.

The whole potty training thing…well, can’t help you there. My boys are 2 1/2 and 5 and are still struggling. It depends so much on the child. I just have to keep reminding myself that when they are in high school I will not be cleaning up after them! :) Somehow that helps me in my day!