A slightly boring week in the life of a fairly average couponer

by Melody on February 5, 2012

Each week I will be sharing a round-up of all the different ways I saved our family money.  The purpose of this series is to highlight the fact that there are SO many different methods you can use to lower your overall budget that don’t involve mad-crazy coupon shopping.

I will even be mentioning those methods that may seem insignificant to you.  I truly feel that anything that saves time is saving money in some form or another.

The boys and I spent almost the whole week at my parents, where there are no grocery stores.  There aren’t any stores at all, so zero chance to spend money.  I’m going to say being there saved our family money, since we couldn’t buy anything, ate all my parents food and actually came home with food for the pantry.  My parents have a pantry that looks like a bomb shelter and they are trying to pare down.  My husband was the recipient of two enormous jars of pepperoncinis.  Doesn’t take much to make him happy.

No vegetable left behind

I bought a few bell peppers last week at Fred Meyer when they were pretty cheap, but since we were gone, I came home to one that was starting to look a little sad and wrinkled.  I wasn’t going to be able to use it that night, so I quickly chopped it up, flash froze it on a baking sheet and then threw the diced pepper in a freezer bag.  I can now easily add it to a soup or casserole later on.

“Prettying Up” my spaces

My friend Sarah made this fabulous sign for me as a Christmas gift and after much consideration, I decided to hang it in the laundry room.  While you may think that I’m just trying to hide it, that couldn’t be farther from the truth.  I decided if I have to spend time in the “Land of the Ugliest Paneling in the World”, I might as well have something wonderful to look at while I’m back there.  I’d love to someday have a lovely laundry room, but for now, I make do. Every time I go to switch over the laundry, I read this verse and feel inspired.

While this may not necessarily be a money-saving tip, it’s a “good for the soul” tip.  Which I think is just as important.

I would LOVE to hear how you saved your family money this week.  What methods do you find are the most efficient and effective?

Julie B February 5, 2012 at 8:54 pm

I love these posts and they encourage me. I think it’s easy to forget or discount the various ways we cut back or sacrifice to make our budgets work. I truly believe every little bit helps!

This weekend we:
-washed our car by hand, vacuumed and detailed the inside
-made homemade bread
-cooked healthy chili from scratch for superbowl party (even soaked and cooked dried beans!)
-used rebate visa cards to buy produce and healthy ingredients for more home cooked meals this coming week
-ate from our pantry instead of going out for fast food.

mona February 5, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Here are some things I did this week to save a penny here and there.

*made homemade bread
* canned 11jars of raspberry jam (thx to my mom visiting)
* used gift card to get baby shower and birthday gift
* made baked oatmeal so breakfast would be easy for our busy weekend
* packed lunches to take to model train show

Love hearing about others who are being creative in all ways frugal!

Lora February 5, 2012 at 9:53 pm

This weekend we drove to Enterprise, Oregon to buy a new (to us!) car that we found on Craigslist for an AMAZING deal. We ran a Carfax report on it before and talked the seller down $550. I believe he was more willing to come down on the price because we paid CASH (woo-hoo!!). My husband knows cars, so all he needed to do was inspect it and drive it and we were good to go! It went smooth as silk!

Also – I made those DELICIOUS oat muffins that Melody posted about (or did I get it at MOPS??). Saved us some money on breakfast cereal this week. Yea!

Kerri February 5, 2012 at 10:23 pm

I actually made my way through my enormous needs-to-be ironed pile which gave me a few more items to wear. After seeing them hanging in my closet again (after being absent for, ahem, many months) I was able to resist the urge to go clothes shopping just because I was tired of my clothes.

I figured ironing my clothes and organizing my closet so that I could clearly see what clothes I own probably saved me at least $100 on an impulse trip to the mall!

Karen February 6, 2012 at 3:18 pm

- I gave my guys haircuts. This saves enough money each month that I can afford a stylist!

Miss Jay February 7, 2012 at 3:36 pm

I may have shared this before, I can’t hold anything in my mommy brain for longer than 1o minutes. :)

Yesterday was my son’s birthday, and we were low on non-christmas wrapping paper. I have tons of gift bags, but the kids enjoy the whole unwrapping bit so much I hate to give them their present in a bag. So I cut bags open and use them like wrapping paper. It’s little thick, but not unmanagable. And yes, I know now I cannot reuse it again, but I have more. Many much more. I still have gift bags from his baby shower 7 years ago.