The blog post that was not on the agenda

by Melody on January 7, 2012

Ever have one of those days when each minute feels just a little longer than the last?  When your teething 18-month old, normally known as “The Best Napper in the World” refuses to take a nap and cries through his entire swim lesson and still refuses to go to bed.

Every now and then, I would catch myself thinking about “All the Things I Should Be Doing” or lamenting the fact that I wasn’t crossing things off my blog to-do list.

Then I realized while I was rocking my son, trying to get him to fall asleep and losing all feeling in my left arm that I was singing a very appropriate song.  It was the only thing that popped into my head and I was repeating the same words over and over:

“Where the years have gathered and run, that’s where I’ll be.
I find myself on my knees, begging please.”

10 years from now, nobody will care what blog post I wrote today or if I kept my sink empty of dishes.  But my son will be 11 and most likely won’t want me to rock him to sleep.  I’m not saying days like these aren’t hard, I’m not saying I wasn’t absolutely thrilled to sit down on the couch with my cup of tea and a little peace and quiet.  There are just times when a little perspective is necessary.

Lyrics from Brandon Flowers “On the Floor”.  If you haven’t heard it, you should find it and listen to it.

Kerri January 7, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Beautiful! Thanks for the reminder!

tiff January 7, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Aw Angela. *tears*
So true. our babies are so trying and so wonderful aren’t they? And they grow so fast. These are truly the best years of my life. Mine are 8 and 12 and I remember people saying how fast it goes. This was when they were tiny and so tiring and I was exhausted. I was thinking “Really? I don’t think so!” But no truer words have ever been spoken.
I hope tomorrow is a less testing day. But thank you for posting this. Maybe all of that happened today so you could share those words with us who need to hear what you said tonight more than we needed to hear the latest coupons to print or sales to attend. Have a beautiful night.

tiff January 7, 2012 at 9:56 pm

When I finished typing that my 12 year old called me and I gladly went on in. she just wanted to be tucked in and kissed goodnight :)

Emilie January 8, 2012 at 5:26 am

Sorry your day was rough but I love your perspective on it. Hope today goes perfectly smooth!

jess January 8, 2012 at 7:09 am

these thoughts are mine also for the new year. Live in the moment that God has given you. “be content in whatever state you are in” as Paul writes in the Bible. I have a sick one this weekend so just enjoying the extra cuddles and not stressing about everything else. :) Hope you and yours have a good weekend!!

Becky January 8, 2012 at 8:38 am

I’m reminded of a poem I memorized many years ago called “To my Grown Up Son” by Alice Chase. The very last line says “I wish I could go back and do the little things you asked me to”.

Kaily January 8, 2012 at 8:43 am

They are only little once…you will have many years to clean, organize and check off your list but only a few years of them being little :).