Recently, I posted my final fitness update of 2011 and I wanted to share my goals for 2012. Our main goals for last year were to incorporate healthier eating habits and make exercise a priority. We almost completely eliminated all fast food, incorporated more whole and unprocessed foods into our diet, joined a community supported agriculture (CSA) program and started a small backyard garden. About half way through the year, I was finally able to make exercise a serious priority and made some great strides.
My husband and I have started our first round of P90X2 together at the beginning of the year. It’s already been wonderful having a workout partner, but we’ve been holding each other accountable as far as our eating habits go as well. We really made some fantastic changes in 2011, cutting WAY back on processed foods and just not having junk in the house. It’s nice to have both of us on board the healthy eating train, makes having zero willpower manageable.
Our goals for 2012 are to basically fine-tune what we have already started working on. I feel like we have a solid base to build on now. There is no way that we would have been able to make these specific goals without first having a foundation to build on. Just committing to exercise and healthy eating was our first step.
Our Healthy Eating Goals for 2012
- Scale back on white sugar/flour – We made strides towards this goal in 2011, but would like to continue to do more. I have been substituting whole wheat flour for half the amount of white flour in all recipes and frankly, haven’t noticed a difference. My plan is to make the full switch whenever possible.
- Educate ourselves about our food choices – Luckily for me, I have Emilie who loves to do research and knows just about everything about everything. She is really committed to eating whole foods and has helped me make some great changes. Since some of these changes are definitely more expensive, I’d like to educate myself about why they are necessary, how certain foods will affect our bodies and what changes are the most important for my children.
- Meal Planning – I’ve had to officially admit to myself that I’m not very good at meal planning. I get all gung-ho, but can’t seem to stick with it. This is why freezer cooking is such a viable option for me, I love being able to pull something pre-made out of the freezer a few times per week. I’d like to plan a few meals each week and add them to my planner, especially during super busy weeks. Even something as simple as pulling some chicken out of the freezer and planning a grilled chicken salad.
- Lose 3-5 pounds – I truthfully haven’t lost much weight since about May of 2011. It seems I lost the majority of the weight in the beginning and have since been maintaining and gaining muscle. I do still have a few extra pounds hanging around the midsection that I am going to target this year.
- Start a new class or activity – I really do love our P90X workouts. Going through these workouts however, has taught me so much about what my body can endure and how strong it’s become. I’d love to try something new this year, whether it be a new class at the gym or getting our family out hiking. My husband doesn’t know this yet.
What are your goals for this coming year? I’m looking forward to keeping you updated and doing some kind of a monthly check-in.