Final Fitness Update of 2011

by Melody on January 3, 2012

I finished my second round of P90X the last week of December, doing the Lean version in the first round and the Classic version in the second round.  My husband and I bought P90X2 for each other for Christmas, so this is perfect timing for us to start the new version together.

If you’ve been following me for any length of time, you’ll know that one of my 2011 resolutions was to change my habits when it came to our diet and exercise.  I didn’t necessarily want to try anything radical, it drives me nuts when I see commercials for a product that will “guarantee you will lose weight without diet or exercise”.  This can’t be healthy.  Really, what other way is there to lose weight?
I just wanted to shift our focus to a healthier lifestyle.  We have been slowly changing our eating habits, incorporating more natural products, more whole foods and swapping out white sugars and flour for whole wheat.  Working out seemed the next natural step.

It took me a LONG time to make exercise a natural part of my daily routine.  It started out as a serious chore.  I tried every day to talk myself out of it and often succeeded.  It took me over 3 months to complete the 30-Day Shred.  However, every time I pressed play on the video, I felt a little better.  I lost a little weight.  I gained a little more energy.  I started realizing that I actually felt better AFTER the workout, instead of focusing on how hard it was to get started.

I finished one more round of the 30-Day Shred and was ready for a new challenge.  My husband had purchased P90X a few months back and just the thought of it terrified me.  I just kept pushing play, I figured out a way to work it into our routine.  I forced myself to put on my workout clothes.  I pushed play.  I pushed play.  I pushed play.  I worked out early in the morning before my kids woke up.  I worked out during Dora the Explorer.  I worked out while dodging Lightening McQueen.  I worked out on vacation.  I did the ab workout with a 25-pound toddler on my chest.  It never occurred to me to skip a workout.

How did I end up?

From the beginning of 2011, I am 20 pounds lighter.  I have dropped 5-6 pant sizes.  I feel good.  I feel strong.  I feel comfortable in my own skin, which I’m not entirely sure I have ever felt before.  I second-guess my food choices when faced with something that isn’t healthy.  My little brother and I have a common interest now and I do his crazy workouts with him when I visit.  I feel like I am providing a healthy role model for my children.  I feel like, for 45 minutes a day, I put myself first.

September of 2010 - 3 months after my youngest son was born, 3 months before officially starting my exercise routine

First week of P90X – June of 2011

After 2 full rounds of P90X - December 2011

How did I make it a habit?

I get this question a lot.  I wish I had a better answer for you.  So many people tell me that they just can’t seem to fit it into their schedule.  They don’t have time.  They don’t like it.  They don’t see results.  The best advice I can give is to find something you enjoy.  If you hate every second of working out, you’re probably not going to stick with it.  Be creative.  Walk with your kids or your dog.  Start out with a more mellow routine, 1-2 days per week instead of trying to commit every day in the beginning.  Ask your friends for recommendations.  Work out with a friend.  Find a time of day that works for you.  There is absolutely no way I could work out in the evening.  I would give up in the first week.  By doing it first thing in the morning, it’s done and I can’t find a reason to talk myself out of it by the end of the day.

Join a gym.  I’m not a gym person nor do I care to pack up the  kids and actually go to a gym every day, but if this works for you, do it.  Take a class.  Find a workout buddy to keep you accountable.  Just start something.  Working out has literally impacted every single area of my life.  I’m a better mother, wife, daughter, friend.  I’m far more confident in myself, which translates to everything else in my life.  I have said yes to several things I may have skipped before due to lack of confidence.  I truthfully think this is one of the most important things we can do for ourselves.

Stay tuned for my fitness/health goals for 2012.  I’m going to do my best to make my fitness updates a monthly thing, as I get such good feedback from you guys.  Maybe we can help keep each other accountable?  I would love to hear about your goals for the coming year!

Brenelly January 3, 2012 at 7:18 pm

That is amazing and very inspiring!! I love your blog and try to follow it as much as I can. I have also been trying to lose weight over the last 18 months. That’s my baby’s age, hehe. After my pregnancy, I was 160 lb. As of today I am 123 lb. I have just made little changes to my diet, all the ones that you have done. I joined the gym and take a cycling class 4 times a week. I feel confident, beautiful, positive, energized, healthier, and happier. I am able to do more things during the day and rest better. This year, I want to lose another 5 pounds of fat, and gain 5 pounds of muscle. I want to tone my abs, arms, and legs. I want to be able to wear my bikini confidently for summer. I would love some support and someone to keep me accountable. Thank you for everything you do.

tiff w January 3, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Brenelly that’s SO GREAT!!! Great job!

Melody January 3, 2012 at 8:10 pm

That’s amazing Brenelly! My youngest is 18 months too. :) I love the idea of a cycling class. I love P90X, but as a new goal for 2012, I was thinking of adding in another element. Thanks for sharing your success!

P.S. I wore my bikini proudly in Vegas for my 30th birthday this summer. I might not have been exactly where I wanted to be and I had far more stretch marks than most people, but it felt darn good!

tiff w January 3, 2012 at 7:19 pm

WOW look at you!!! That’s just amazing! And I agree, only diet and/or excercise will do it. Everyone needs to face that fact!

Last year I started walking an hour each day – as fast as I could go for one hour. I think it was about 3.5 miles. Then I got to where I wanted to run. Tried that and hurt ankles and shins. So I got on my bike. I started riding every day and it was about 6 miles each day. Pretty quickly moved up and now I can do 20 miles fairly easily. I absolutely LOVE riding my bike!!! I didn’t diet (but I don’t eat out or fast food or drink sodas) and lost 18 pounds so far. I have about 10 to lose and that’ll get me to 135. I’d be stoked with that or 130. My weight loss was fairly slow but I think I gained muscle big time and since I didn’t have tons of weight to lose I lost at a slower rate (plus I didn’t diet, though I did eat good for me foods).

But everyone can do this. I hate to hear “I’ve tried everything.” I think a lot of people have tried crazy diets and diet pills, etc but they haven’t tried and stuck to the tried and true excercise and eating right. You won’t melt it all off at once. You have to tell yourself, “One hour, no matter what. Every day.” Get on out there and move for an hour doing something, anything! It will work. If I can do this, anyone can. I’ve never been an athlete but I am getting pretty darn fit from riding my bike. I’m also 43 years old. :) My husband did the same thing as I did this year and lost over 40 pounds. Now he rides 20 miles a day, and one day a week he does 55 miles!

Melody you look amazing! Well done!!! :)

Brenelly January 3, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Tiff, I am amazed. I seriously believe in exercise and healthy nutrition as the fountain of youth and health. Congratulations on your success!! I want to try and ride my bike 20 miles too ;)

Melody January 3, 2012 at 8:11 pm

I’m amazed too, you have made some serious strides. It feels SO good to be doing something so good for you. Thanks so much for sharing!

tiff w January 3, 2012 at 7:24 pm

I have to add that I agree with you about first thing in the morning. For me it HAS to be first thing in the morning. I just get up earlier, or as soon as I drop my kids off at school (before I go to work – I have two jobs) I drive on over with my bike and hit the trail. I’ve tried going later in the day and 1) I don’t have as much energy; and 2) it just seems too hard to fit it in later in the day. Plus after you work out first thing in the morning the whole day your body feels so much better, even if it is sore. :)

Sherry January 3, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Wow! Great job! You look awesome!

Emilie January 3, 2012 at 7:50 pm

You do look awesome. Have I told you that enough times? :o)

Molly January 3, 2012 at 8:04 pm

How are you not a Beachbody coach? You are an inspiration to so many. If you want more info on it, let me know. I love it. I have P90X2 as well. Tony is awesome! Good luck!

Olivia January 3, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Wow Melanie, you look so fit and healthy. Good for you to stick it out! You truly are an inspiration!
Olivia

Amy January 3, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Awesome! I love to work out…no, I love the way I feel after I’ve worked out! I had a baby (c-section) in October and am ready to get back to a routine…you have inspired me and I’d love to continue hearing about your success!

peggy January 3, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Wow you look awesome! That is no easy feat, I only made 6 weeks of p90x and I thought that was good!

Paloma January 4, 2012 at 12:34 pm

MELODY!!! You look fantastic! I am inspired by your story and NEED that motivation and support to get started myself. My baby girl just turned 7 months old and I can’t seem to fit exercise into my day, or like you said, can talk myself out of it by the afternoon/evening. I own P90X & the 30 day shred, along with countless other workout DVD’s and this year my husband and I purchased the TOTAL GYM for ourselves for Christmas. This means I am out of excuses!!! Thank you for sharing your experience. I sure hope it helps me to press play over and over again.

Lora January 5, 2012 at 2:52 pm

You are one determined woman Melody!! Amazing. So happy for you!! My baby is 7 months old too, Paloma, and I’m starting to get back into working out. My friend and I started the Couch to 5K running program. It starts you off VERY slow (I just downloaded the app to my Ipod, but you can google it and print it off the internet) so that you don’t hurt your knees, etc. which is why most people quit running. It’s essential for me to have someone else to be accountable to so my friend and I starting it together was a must. It feels amazing after a good run and we are planning on running a 5k in mid-February.

I’m also in the midst of an excellent book called Intuitive Eating. I have been on SO many diets in my life that my relationship with food has been really distorted. This book is wonderful and is helping me fix that relationship. No more binging, no more having strong cravings/desires for food and eventually gobbling down way too much of it. Anyway, I feel like I’m finally on my way to being healthier.

After this baby I have been struggling with fibromyalgia type symptoms and extreme fatigue. Since getting those health issues under control (I have been working REALLY hard at it) I am in a better place physically to go forward with exercise. Yea! Here’s to a GREAT 2012 and best of luck to everyone with their fitness goals!