Zaycon Foods: How do I love thee?

by Melody on October 19, 2011

This is my 3rd time ordering boneless skinless chicken breasts from Zaycon Foods.  I have also ordered peaches and they were absolutely delightful!  With each order, I fall in love with the company a little more and more.  The chicken is excellent quality, their customer service has been super friendly and accommodating and the pick-up process is really slick and well laid-out.

My husband picked up our chicken this time around and I got to work first thing the following morning.  I threw in 2 pounds of chicken in the crock pot to make this Salsa Chicken.  The rest of the chicken I just trimmed the fat and separated into gallon freezer bags.

This was the bag of chicken before I did any work with it, it took up half my fridge.

The 40 pounds is split into four separate bags.  The chicken shown below is from one bag and filled up a 9″x13″ pan, before being trimmed.  It took me just about one hour to trim all the chicken.  On a normal day, I would have baked some chicken while I was prepping the rest to have some cooked for easy meals, but we were leaving in a few hours to go tailgating so I went for simplicity.

I added 3 breasts to each gallon freezer bag.  For an average dinner for our family, 2 breasts would have most likely been fine.  We do a lot of freezer cooking and I also double or triple meals during the week, so the extra breast per bag will help stretch our meals.

I took half of the Salsa Chicken for a tailgating dinner, served in tacos over Mexican Rice.  The other half I threw in another gallon freezer bag for an easy meal to pull out of the freezer.  I will definitely be making this recipe again, so easy and super delicious!

I would love to hear your experience with Zaycon Foods, I’m so excited to have a freezer full of chicken again!

Heather October 19, 2011 at 7:32 pm

This was my first time ordering from them. Other than a little stress at pick-up I loved it! When we showed up to pick up our chicken the “Zaycon Foods” truck was leaving. Even though I knew we were on time my heart skipped a few beats. We sat there for a few minutes and then saw where everyone else was going. Apparently they put it in another truck, LOL. It was a good laugh. I picked up my chicken a few weeks ago and I haven’t used it yet. Tomorrow I plan on making honey sesame chicken with it. :)

Emilie October 19, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Oooohhhh! I want that recipe!

Heather October 20, 2011 at 8:04 pm
Julie k October 19, 2011 at 8:56 pm

I am going to try the salsa chicken with some of mine! Thanks for the idea. How many breasts did you use to get 2 lbs.

Melody October 19, 2011 at 9:03 pm

I think it was 4, I was kind of guessing. I just doubled the recipe and it turned out perfectly. I didn’t actually add the sour cream to the crock pot either, we just added it on top our tacos. It’s creamy enough without it.

Megan October 19, 2011 at 9:30 pm

I took about 4 breasts and cut them up into “nugget” size chunks. Then coated in flour, melted butter and crushed corn flakes. Flash froze on a cookie sheet til firm and sealed in a ziplock bag. Ready to go for a quick meal–just bake for 25 min at 400! I also did some like that just breaded with parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs. Left a couple breasts out for dinner this week and the rest are in the freezer. I love Zaycon Chicken!! :)

Susie October 20, 2011 at 3:34 pm

My freezer looks like yours! I picked up my first Zaycon order last night. I went to a dark church parking lot and got chicken from the back of a truck. It felt adventrous! My husband thought the whole thing was weird. We told the Zaycon guys that they were like the chicken mafia. :)

Melody November 11, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I seriously tell everyone I meet or when I do any kind of speaking engagement about your chicken mafia comment. It cracks me up every time I think about it!

MelissaB October 22, 2011 at 1:53 pm

What a great sounding recipe, I’m going to try it soon! And the Honey Sesame Chicken one as well. We love Zaycon at our house too!

Vickie November 11, 2011 at 8:36 pm

I wanted to know more about Zaycon foods. How does it work? Is the meat good quality? do you pay when you order, or when you pick up? I appreciate any help/advice that anyone can give me.

Melody November 11, 2011 at 9:49 pm

The meat is great quality, never frozen. You place an order and pay ahead of time, all you need when you pick up is your order confirmation. I’ve been super happy with everything I’ve ordered from Zaycon and their customer service is great!