Three Cookbooks I’ve Been Wishing For

by Emilie on October 4, 2011

My mother-in-law, who is super thoughtful about gifts, recently asked me what we all wanted for Christmas.  Of course, we really NEED nothing, but it got me thinking about some things I’ve been wanting.  Being on a limited budget, I never buy myself books or cookbooks.  They usually are borrowed from a friend or from the library.  However, there are a few cookbooks I’ve been dreaming about owning.  Cookbooks just happen to be my secret love.  So, in in no particular order, here are the top three cookbooks on my wish list.  Anybody have any reviews for me or recommendations for other ones I shouldn’t miss?

I love, love, love the blog Our Best Bites.  Have you ever tried their Buttermilk Carmel Syrup or the Asian Wonton Salad? Sometime in the last year they came out with this cookbook. Oh, how I want it! If you follow their blog, please tell me what your favorite recipe is.  I will make it, I promise.  I love them that much.  They come only second to my first true cooking blogger love, The Pioneer Woman.  I’m pretty sure Ree and I would be best friends if I lived on a ranch in Oklahoma.  Or, if she lived on a busy street in Seattle.  Either way, she and I are twinsies. I know it. I once waited four hours to get her autograph.  It was worth it.

Now, in reality, I don’t eat from the above two mentioned blogs daily.  Although, I want to.  Desperately.  In reality, we follow the book Real Food  and eat mainly whole foods including unprocessed sugars and flours (although I did eat a Heath bar and pizza last night.  Sssshhhhh!).  Don’t worry, we still have fun though, we eat plenty of egg yolks, butter and whole milk.  So, when my mom received Gwyneth Paltrow’s cookbook, My Father’s Daughter for her birthday last month I almost stole it and ran off.  It is full of healthy, unprocessed recipes that sound absolutely delicious. If it goes missing mom, you know who it was.

And, finally, this cookbook doesn’t have all the glitz and glam (pictures that make you salivate) but since The New Best Recipes is my favorite cookbook of all time, and my favorite wedding gift to give, I’m sure this is just as amazing.  The America’s Test Kitchen Family Cookbook is on my wish list because every single recipe that America’s Test Kitchen puts out is perfect.  Literally perfect.  I have a friend who says if you mess one up, there is no doubt it is your fault.  They have never made a bad recipe ever.  I imgaine this cookbook is packed full of perfect, family friendly recipes.  My kids pretty much eat anything I give them but I do like to do more kid friendly meals a couple times a week.

I’d love to hear what your favorite cookbooks and recipes are.  Because, I like to cook but I LOVE to eat.  LOVE TO EAT.  Just in case you didn’t get my point.  Speaking of eating, make sure you check out some more of my favorite recipes from our contributor Jessie over at Bites who loves to eat just as much as me, but she is a much better cook.

Carrie L. October 4, 2011 at 6:44 pm

I love Pioneer Woman’s cookbook! Beautiful photos and every time I make one of her recipes my husband falls in love with me all over again =)
I also really like Nigella Lawson’s books – she uses real ingredients for simple but delicious food from everyday recipes to super indulgent. My favorite one of hers is Nigella Express

Erin @ Simply Frugal Mom October 4, 2011 at 9:04 pm

I love cookbooks. My current go-to is Make it Fast, Cook it Slow. Tons of great slow cooker recipes. No pictures though, which is a bummer because I like to see what the end result should look like (not that my recipes ever look like the pictures).

You must make the ABTK chocolate chip cookies. A-MAZING.

I just read about a cookbook book store opening in Fremont. New and used cookbooks and cooking demos. I can’t wait to check it out.

Mandy October 4, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Make sure you get America’s Test Kitchen for Christmas! It is such a great everyday cookbook. I love the product reviews and cooking tips that are speckled throughout the book.

I’d love to hear how Our Best Bites is as well as I’ve added it to my wish list!

Hard to come up with any recommendations when we seem to have similar libraries and/or wish lists.

Christy October 4, 2011 at 10:42 pm

I own the Our Best Bites and the America’s Test Kitchen, and I love them both. Here are a few more that I really enjoy: Artisan Bread in 5 MInutes a Day, Jaime’s Food Revolution and both Weber’s Time to Grill and Weber’s Real Grilling (I have had this one for awhile, but I still use it all the time). I am kind of a cookbook junkie!!

Addie October 5, 2011 at 4:54 am

I love America’s Test Kitchen cookbook too! I’ve had it for a few years and use it very often. Some of the pages are kinda worn because of food dripping over it while I read it!

Arial October 5, 2011 at 12:31 pm

I love America’s Test Kitchen, never miss the show. You mentioned you like food blogs, you have to try For the Love of Cooking. Pam makes amazing food that simple and tasty. I’ve never had a recipe of hers go astray. And the photos are mouthwatering :)

kristine October 5, 2011 at 12:53 pm

a good cookbook for comfort food and all other stuff is the bisquick cookbook…..make cassaroles…pies….all kinds of biscuits and rolls…plus desserts….great way to use up the bisquick we get from couponing

Melody October 5, 2011 at 1:23 pm

One of my favorite cookbooks is the standard Better Homes & Gardens cookbook, so basic but especially fabulous for people just getting started cooking.

Another favorite is Debbie Macomber’s Cedar Cove cookbook. I love her Cedar Cove series, loosely based on Port Angeles (I think) and the cookbook does NOT disappoint. Wonderful pictures too.

I’m totally a cookbook junkie, I get it from my mom. I do love to cook, but more love to sit down and just daydream about all the recipes I may eventually make someday. :)

Karla October 5, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I love cookbooks as well. I also love watching cooking videos. The library has tons of the America’s test kitchen videos. My kids think I am goofy just sitting there for hours watching other people cook.

Judy M October 5, 2011 at 5:36 pm

I am 45, and my mom is 85. I am telling you this because I was raised quite differently from other’s my age. I love my mom’s Betty Crocker Cookbook. I am blind, so mom reads me a recipe if I need it, but I remember when I was younger and could still see, how fond I was of this particular cookbook. It may not be the one you go to most often, but just reading it is a treat-NOTHING and I mean NOTHING in this cookbook is prepackaged-it is ALL from SCRATCH-which is why I love it. It is circa 1930 or so-it is great, and a treat for cookbook lovers!