In my professional opinion, it’s perfectly fine to splurge once in awhile

by Melody on August 28, 2011

I love to hear all the different tips and tricks you have for saving money. When one of my readers commented that she spent a lot on a pair of high quality jeans, but still saved money and got a good deal, it got me thinking.

Obviously, it’s no secret that I am a coupon shopper and am quite frugal by nature, but there are definitely some items I splurge on and have no problem paying a little extra for.   I thought it might be beneficial to share the fact that I do spend money.  I don’t have a coupon for everything.  I am willing to pay for quality items that will last.  As long as I am saving money in as many areas of our life as possible, I feel comfortable spending a little extra in others.

I will spend money on jeans.  I have long legs and struggle to find good-fitting jeans, so when I find a pair that fits and fits well, I snatch them up.  I would rather pay a lot for one good pair that will last me a long time, then pay next to nothing for a few pairs that don’t fit well and will have to be replaced after a few months.

I pay to get my hair highlighted and it’s not cheap.  I have tried coloring my own hair with disastrous results.  To be perfectly honest with you, getting my hair done is one of the few times I get away for some “me time”.  I grab a coffee on the way and just sit back and relax for a few hours.

We love to attend sporting events.  We go to Seattle Mariners games (check out my tips on saving money at the ballpark), we tailgate for WSU Cougars football.  We try to do our best and save money where we can, but tickets alone for these events are nowhere near cheap.

We definitely allow for a few splurges when we are on vacation, not to mention the fact that we actually GO on vacation, which in itself is not super frugal.  We don’t go anywhere fancy or eat anywhere with a dress code, but we do enjoy ourself.  We only plan trips that we can pay cash for and we only use cash on things we do on the trip, but we try really hard to do a few things each year, either with our kids or without.  I love to save money, but I refuse to feel buyer’s remorse for a $3 snow cone that made my kids (wait, my husband) quite happy.

Your turn.  What do you consider a “splurge” in your life?

Christina August 28, 2011 at 10:08 pm

We try to save on as much as possible, like you do, so we can afford to take our family of eight on month long vacations and PAY CASH. We do not use credit for them and boy does that feel good. We also pay cash for Christmas and home improvement….

Those are my big splurges, being debt free.

Sue August 29, 2011 at 5:55 am

I tend not to splurge on anything, But my husband does—both his parents passed away in the last few years so he has “found” money. We went to Europe last fall and Israel this spring with his found money.

Nicole August 29, 2011 at 3:48 pm

I love you sharing your professional opinion on this!! I’m with you…I’m frugal where it counts (wouldn’t let my teen aged brother buy a book today….found it in the library webstie catalog instead!) but I don’t let frugality get in the way of an indulgence or investment in a quality piece here and there. Simply put, I save on the minor things to enjoy the finer things! ;)

Lora August 30, 2011 at 8:55 pm

What a refreshing post! :) I am a reformed spender (thank you Dave Ramsey…) and splurger. Now that I have realized the error of my ways, I have a hard time finding balance in this area. I have to TRY to be frugal (oh how I WISH it were my nature!) so it’s hard to know where it’s o.k. to splurge a little yet still be “frugal” overall. I find myself just going back to our agreed upon budget and if we want to splurge, we arrange things in our budget so that we can.

BTW Melody, maybe this is none of my business, but I have a GREAT gal who does my highlights (I stopped highlighting my hair for a year and a half and it was TORTURE. But now I’m back and SO happy!). She does it out of her home in Kennewick, but it’s a very professional environment and I think she does a great job and is significantly cheaper than a salon. Just in case you’re interested, email me at bradylora@hotmail.com.

Melody August 30, 2011 at 9:01 pm

We’re the same way, we always stay within our budget and just rearrange if we need or want something on a larger scale than our budget allows. Anytime we go on vacation or do anything REALLY big, we sit down and figure out what we can manage and handle. We still pay for everything in cash.

Thanks for the recommendation, I always love a personal one. I think I might actually hyperventilate if I left my hairstylist, she’s been doing my hair for so long. I think I’m addicted. :)

Lora August 30, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Ha! You’re funny. If you ever change your mind, let me know! I pay $60 for a cut and full highlights! But yes, please don’t hyperventilate!! :)