A slightly boring week in the life of a fairly average couponer

by Melody on August 7, 2011

Each week I will be sharing a round-up of all the different ways I saved our family money.  The purpose of this series is to highlight the fact that there are SO many different methods you can use to lower your overall budget that don’t involve mad-crazy coupon shopping.

I will even be mentioning those methods that may seem insignificant to you.  I truly feel that anything that saves time is saving money in some form or another.

Saving my time and my sanity

My kids eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches almost every day for lunch.  Before you feel too sorry for them however, they do love them and they get extremely random vegetables and fruits as side dishes, so hopefully they never get too bored.  I realized that I probably could make five sandwiches in the just about the same amount of time that I make one, if I do it all together.

On Monday at lunch time, I made my PB&J assembly line.  The boys ate one sandwich that day and the rest went into the fridge.  Each day for lunch, I just pulled out a sandwich, threw some fresh veggies and fruits on a plate and they were ready to go.  We are on the go almost every morning running errands, going to the park, starting MOPS meetings and going to the various farmer’s markets in our area so this has been a huge time saver.  They even ate in the car a few times.

Creatively stretching my freezer meals

A few months back, I cooked up some taco meat for Mexican Pizza but we didn’t use it all.  Instead of heaping it on top of the pizza (which we really didn’t need), I froze the rest of it.  Since we are Eating from the Pantry this month, I pulled out the taco meat and we had some fabulous taco salads with lettuce from our weekly CSA pick-up.

I love using the freezer to be able to repurpose meal ingredients into something completely different!

• I had a small sweet onion and a bunch of green onions that were on the verge of going bad and I HATE to waste food.  I chopped them up, flash froze them on a baking sheet for about an hour, bagged them up and threw in the freezer.  I’ve never tried this with onions before, but they both look fantastic.  I already used the sweet onion in my Tomatillo Salsa Verde today and it tastes great!

I would LOVE to hear how you saved your family money this week.  What methods do you find are the most efficient and effective?

Emilie McFarlane August 7, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Love the PB&J idea. Did they get soggy? I’m all over this one!

Melody August 7, 2011 at 9:49 pm

They actually didn’t, I was surprised. This was my test week and now I’ll do it all the time! Plus, my kids are really too young to care. :)

kelsey August 8, 2011 at 1:38 am

How did you flash freeze them? Which veggies have you done this with? I guess I’m feeling a little lazy about Googling lol :)

Melody August 8, 2011 at 5:20 am

So far, I have only done green peppers, onions and green onions. All have worked out fine, although I would probably only bake or cook with the results and they tended to get a little soggy.

To freeze them, I just chopped them up like I would in most recipes, spread them on a single layer until they were mostly frozen and then threw them in a bag. The reason I flash freeze them is so they don’t stick together. If I just threw them in a freezer bag, they would totally clump up!

Stephanie August 8, 2011 at 10:46 am

Thanks so much for the tip. I without thinking once froze chicken breasts after just throwing them in a freezer bag. Bad plan if you don’t want to use a whole mess of chicken at one sitting, as it was all stuck together!

Melody August 8, 2011 at 10:51 am

Ha! I’ve totally done the same thing. Now I either flash freeze them or freeze them in individual quart sized freezer bags. Nobody wants to eat a giant lump of chicken. :)

Trina August 9, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Good ideas, thanks for continuing to post them! I wonder if you could freeze the PB&J sandwiches too?

I thought of something related to a semi-recent post about printer ink. I set my printer to grayscale and “fast draft” most of the time to conserve ink. But once it starts running low and not printing darkly anymore, I re-set it to “normal” and later to “best” so that it uses up all of the ink in the cartridge. I get several more weeks of printing that way!