Help! Looking for easy meals for camping trip

by Melody on July 4, 2011

I love to cook at home, but am not at all creative when it comes to cooking on the grill so I need your help!

My husband and I are going camping next weekend and I need some inspiration for quick, easy and delicious meals to make on the grill.  We will be floating the river all day Friday and all day Saturday, so we will need a menu that I can prepare in advance and just throw on the grill.

Please share your favorite menu ideas!  We mainly need breakfast and dinner ideas, but feel free to share anything you have.  I’m looking for something beyond the traditional hamburgers and hot dogs.

Emilie McFarlane July 4, 2011 at 2:46 pm

We do fajitas on the grill. http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/beef-and-chicken-fajitas-with-peppers-onions-10000000222256/print/

And I’m making this recipe this week also. I have yet to try it but it sounds good!

You can also grill corn on the cob and pretty much any veggies for sides.

Jennette July 4, 2011 at 3:09 pm

We do pizzas on the grill with naan bread. Just top with your favorite pizza toppings and grill on low until crust is crispy and cheese is melted.

Michelle July 4, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Super easy breakfasts – wrap a refrigerator biscuit around a roasting stick and turn over the grill or fire. Once cooked through, roll it in melted butter, then roll in cinnamon and sugar. Also, pack a cookie sheet, put bacon on and cook it on the grill. Another – grill pineapple. And, put a pot of water on the grill to boil. Put raw eggs, cheese, veggies, breakfast meat, seasoning in a ziplock bag. Put that bag in another ziplock and smoosh it all together. Drop bag in the boiling water, cook a few minutes and out come super delicious omelets. Easy schmeezy.

tiff July 4, 2011 at 5:06 pm

I just left a few ideas on your facebook page. Have a fun trip!!

tiff July 4, 2011 at 5:07 pm

I love Jennette’s idea with the naan bread! That stuff is good by itself, but wow the pizzas sound good. Reading this thread is making me so hungry :)

Elizabeth Sellers July 4, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Found this online- Ziplock omlets
this is a super easy and everybody have it their own way recipe but very yummy and perfect for camping.
Before you start to make the omelettes you will need to set a pot of water on to boil which can be on your camp stove or over your campfire.
You need the quart size freezer ziplocs 1 for each person, then any omelette ingredients your campers prefer. list of possibilities-ham cubes, bacon bits,diced cooked chicken, onions, green peppers, broccoli, shredded cheeses,or anything that works for you. just set out the carton of eggs 2 per omelette and have each camper crack their eggs into the ziploc. You can also bring a small container of half and half and put some into each bag but it works well with just eggs too. then everyone chooses from the extras what they would like in their omelette, drops it in their ziploc, then zips it up and puts it into the pot of boing water. It takes approx. 3 minutes, but you can check the doneness with tongs just lift the bag and look. It actually will roll itself up into an omelette shape in side the bag. When done just unzip roll onto your plate

Becky July 4, 2011 at 9:00 pm

We are big Taco Salad Camping fans. You can make everything up before and build it when you get there!

Arial Buza July 5, 2011 at 10:46 am

I’ve never heard of the ziploc omelet, but it sounded like a great idea! I was looking for a picture of the finished product when I found this:

Apparently, the max rating on ziplocs is lower than the boiling point of water (not to mention the heat of the fat inside the bag from the eggs, bacon, etc.) The bags begin to melt and release chemicals into the food.

But, this is still a nifty idea. Does anybody know of boil safe bags you can buy?