Albertsons: Rolling catalinas to maximize your transactions

by Melody on July 1, 2011

Albertsons has boneless skinless chicken breasts from the butcher block at $1.69 per pound this week, which is an AMAZING price.  Not to mention that they will wrap them up in any quantity you like, so you can just throw them in the freezer when you get home.

I knew I was going to spend money on the chicken either way, so I decided to make my money work for me by rolling the catalina coupons from the Nature Valley granola bar deal.

Here’s how it played out:

Transaction #1

Paid $.25, Got $7 in catalina coupons

Transaction #3
(10) lbs boneless skinless chicken breast $1.69/lb

Subtotal: $16.90
Used $7 in catalinas from previous transaction
Paid $9.90

Total spent: $18.65, which is just a few dollars more than I would have paid had I only bought the chicken

I know some of you have been having trouble finding the Granola Thins (I am pretty sure I got the last four sad little boxes on the shelf at my store), but please remember that the regular Nature Valley granola bars are a great deal too.  They aren’t free like the Granola Thins, but at $.38 per box, you are still getting a smoking hot price.  I was more than willing to pay $.38 so my husband could have an easy snack to take to work.

Make sure to check out this week’s full Albertsons match ups.

Whitney July 1, 2011 at 2:58 pm

So definitely no more milk CAT?

Melody July 1, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Definitely not. I totally forgot about it, but didn’t get one with either of my transactions.

Miss Jay July 1, 2011 at 3:35 pm

I used part of my $20 cat last week to do the ice cream deal and scored a $5 catalina. I used the $5 cat towards the granola bar deal and earned $8, and a free milk. I used $3 of it to get the smores deal, and took my $5 cat to Fred Meyer to get 2 lbs of butter. (I wanted to buy butter at Albertsons, but it was almost twice as much. Since Fred Meyer was on the way home, it worked out well!)

I think the milk promotion was from last week’s ad.

Wendy July 2, 2011 at 12:47 am

Seriously- what’s a catallina?!!!

Faith July 2, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Those NV with yogurt are really good :)

Wendy–A catalina is a coupon that prints out at the checkout (by a machine owned by the Catalina Marketing company) and is usually triggered by something that you buy. Some are offered by manufacturers when you buy a certain number of their product and others are offered by the store. The catalinas for these deals are for buying Nature Valley granola bars and Nature Valley granola thins. In this case they come out as $ amount off your next purchase and in both transactions there is an overlapping catalina for buying 4 specific General Mills products (listed in the ad) and get $5 catalina off your next order.
Does that make sense? Melody could probably explain it better :P

Melody July 2, 2011 at 2:49 pm

You said it better than I could, thanks Faith!