Ingredients on sale for Freezer Cooking Day

by Melody on May 19, 2011

I know we aren’t technically starting the planning of our Freezer Cooking Day until June, but I have a tentative menu written out and there are some great sales this week on ingredients we will need to pick up.

You can read more about our This Beautiful’s Frugal Life Freezer Cooking Day extravaganza here.

FRED MEYER (through 5-21)

Green bell peppers .33
* I was thinking of dicing these and flash freezing them.  Has anyone done this?

Boneless skinless chicken breasts 4 lb bag $1.79/lb

ALBERTSONS (starting 5-22)

Kraft salad dressing 14 oz $1.50 {limit 4}
- $1/2 (5-15 SS) OR
- .55/1 printable + double (thanks Frugal Chic Living)
As low as 40 cents each!
* We will need Italian dressing for one recipe

Ronzoni Garden Delight pasta $1
- $1/1 (5-15 SS) OR
- $1/2 printable + double
FREE!
* We will need rotini pasta or other similar shape

Ronzoni Smart Taste or Healthy Harvest pasta $1
Buy 2
- $1/2 printable + double
FREE!
* We will need spaghetti noodles

It’s hard for me to tell you how many to pick up, because each person is going to vary widely on how much of a certain recipe they make.  For me (and what I will be posting about specifically), I will pick up three or four of each item.

Menu and ingredient list to come!

Erin @ Coupon Newbie May 19, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I’m really looking forward to this series and cooking along with you. Great idea!

Kim May 19, 2011 at 2:15 pm

We’ve frozen green bell peppers in slices on cookie sheets and then bagged them. They are soft when they thaw, but the flavor stays the same, so we use them on homemade pizzas or in dishes where the texture doesn’t matter as much.

Jane May 19, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I’ve done the peppers that way. No need to blanch them first. Just wash, dice and freeze in a cookie sheet! Looking forward to your freezer cooking.

Vicky May 20, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I freeze peppers every year. I also add onions to them because he likes to saute them and put them in his eggs for breakfast. Also handy to have for almost all my main dishes.

Melody May 20, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Thanks everyone, that’s what I was thinking. The texture won’t matter too much in this recipe. Until our garden starts producing, this is the best price we will probably see in awhile!

Vicky May 23, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I can’t wait for “freezer cooking day”. Do you know how many different dishes we will be making? Even my husband is a little excited to have something different for dinner.

Melody May 23, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I’m thinking four or five and possibly a side dish. I don’t want to overwhelm anyone (or myself!). This way people can make more of any of the dishes, but we’re not trying to juggle a zillion ingredients. I should have the final menu up early next week with a list of ingredients.

Debbs Seattle May 29, 2011 at 2:33 am

I have frozen peppers and onions for years. I guess the only reason I dip whole peppers in boiling water is because my mom told me to…Just grasp by the stem in tongs and hld under boilingwater for like 5 seconds then cool.

Dice or strip cut, lay on cookie sheet so pieces not touching and freeze (this process called IQF or individual quick freeze). This is how your purchased frozen veggies are done in mass production. Once frozen place in zip lock baggies. I sectioned into 1 cup qty’s into individual ziplocks, then placed the little bags into a large freezer bag for easy storage in the deep freeze. In a non defrosting unit they will last all year.