“30-Day Shred Round Two” update

by Melody on May 5, 2011

For any of you who don’t know, I have been doing the  Jillian Michaels 30-Day Shred since the beginning of this year and have been sharing updates on the blog.  Several of my readers have been doing the workout as well, so I want to have a place for people to share their successes and just to keep me accountable.  For some reason, reporting to you guys (most of whom I’ve never met) makes me drag myself off the couch on those days when I REALLY don’t want to.

I finished the 30 day workout a few weeks ago (check out my final update here) and am currently on Day 11 of round two.

I just wanted to give you all a quick update of how the second round is going.  I started out doing two days of each workout (Level 1, 2 and 3) but after the second day of doing Level 1, I realized it was actually too easy!  I even tried to add weights to the cardio exercises and couldn’t get my heart rate up enough.  Who would have thought?  When I first started this workout, Level 1 felt like it was going to kill me.

For the remainder of my workouts, I alternated between Level 2 and Level 3 and am happy to report that I have lost an extra three pounds, for a total of 16 pounds since the beginning of the year!

I’m still struggling with the “baby tummy” so I have decided to add one of the core workouts from my husband’s P90X series once a week.  Although I haven’t convinced myself to try it yet.  It looks awful.

Leave a comment (if you feel comfortable of course) and let us know how you are doing.  Even if you don’t do the 30-day Shred, I’m sure others would love to hear what has worked for you (and maybe what hasn’t?).

Charlie May 5, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I just started the DVD because of your last post. I really like it! I just need a few lbs gone & a little tone up.
I didn’t know what the program was, I mean how many days of which exercise.
Are you kidding me? 10 consecutive days?!?! I don’t think so! So I may take longer than 30 days & that’s OK by me.
Great job for your accomplishments, I love hearing about people getting healthy!

Melody May 5, 2011 at 2:17 pm

The first round took me 3 1/2 months to finish the full 30 days. :)

I’ve just found this time around I feel better when I do it almost every day. If I take a few days off, my body starts to complain. It’s not always possible of course, but I’m really trying to squeeze it in.

Good luck with your work out!

Brook May 5, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Hi Melody, I’m a little over half way through the shred, I had to take a few days off because I pulled my LCL, but I have lost 10 inches last time I checked. I have gained 3lbs but I truely believe that it’s muscle weight, my doctor even told me that it’s normal to firm up and gain at first. So good luck to everyone starting this! I got a friend of mine now doing it with me. It’s awsome! It will kick your butt, but you will love it and see results in no time at all. Good luck everyone!!

Tomina May 5, 2011 at 8:33 pm

My husband and I have been doing this video for the last three days. This is the first time in our 10 years of marriage that we are actually working out together. And let me tell you, I am sooooo sore. Much more sore than when I work out at the gym for an hour. This video is pushing me. I’m wondering when the soreness will start to go away. I’ve lost 5 lbs in just three days of eating right and working out.

Melody May 5, 2011 at 9:01 pm

My soreness went away after the first few days and I was TOTALLY out of shape. My husband has actually talked about starting it with me, although once he called it a “girls workout”. Ha! Can’t wait til he starts it. I’m excited to do it with him, we don’t have much bonding time with two young kiddos, so this will be fun.

Good luck!

Dani May 6, 2011 at 5:18 am

Ha! My husband did it with me once and had to stop so he didn’t pass out. It’s the best/hardest 20 minutes of fitness. Congrats to everyone on their successes!

tasha May 5, 2011 at 10:15 pm

i love reading these updates! i took the first step…. ordered the video off Amazon… but it’s sitting on the counter still. I hope to start it next Monday when our company leaves.
i have been doing weight watchers (on line) though for about 10 weeks and have lost almost 25 pounds and a few sizes. my husband has been doing it too (free through his work) for about 16 weeks ( i couldn’t start then because of a surgery to remove an ovarian cyst and an ovary) and he’s lost over 25. it’s fun to do together and it really is amazing how easy it has been. now i want to add the exercise factor to my routine and i feel like i can definitely be where i want to be in 2-3 months…… back to my E.D. weight (early dating as we like to call it!). again, i love you posting about your experience!

Melody May 5, 2011 at 10:19 pm

ED Weight, I LOVE it! Perfect goal. :)

mom4me May 5, 2011 at 10:27 pm

I bought the DVD off Amazon when you posted about the deal and today finished day 3. I bumped up to level 2 to mix it up a bit and love the variety with three levels to work from. I love hearing all the success stories!

beth thompson May 5, 2011 at 10:30 pm

i just got jillian michaels AB shred. haven’t tried it yet, but i’m hoping that will help with the baby belly for me. congrats on the 16lbs, that’s awesome!

Melody May 5, 2011 at 10:37 pm

I was going to get that one or the Trouble Zones DVD, but my husband suggested the P90X since we already have it. I’ll let you know how it goes. Ugh. :)

Stefanie May 5, 2011 at 11:08 pm

I absolutely LOVE Jillian Michaels videos! They kick your butt and give you great results. If you want to see serious progress on your abs, try her 6 week 6 pack video. It is not just your average ab workout with crunches and planks. She really gets you moving and works all areas of your body at the same time. Everytime I do the video, people comment on how thin I look the next day :) It is awesome!!

Marie May 6, 2011 at 12:33 am

I love hearing success stories like this, thank you for sharing. Have you been dieting too or is all the weight loss just from the workouts? I did the Shred pre-baby but never got past level 1, I think I will start it again! :)

Melody May 6, 2011 at 2:28 am

I wouldn’t necessarily say dieting, but we have been watching what we’ve been eating more. We try to eat salad with every meal more as a main course, instead of filling up on the higher calorie stuff. I’m hoping this only gets better after our garden takes off!

We truly don’t have that much in the house as far as sweets and snacks, but we are FAR from 100% on those things. :) I have just found that we can’t have them in the house as I have no willpower!

Sara L May 6, 2011 at 3:13 am

Melody,
If your hubby has P90X already, you should do the 15 minute Ab workout that is attached to a few of the workouts (it comes on as soon as the main workout is finished, you don’t have to push any buttons or change discs). That quick workout is SO HARD, but will do wonders- and I love that it is so quick!
good luck and congrats!

Melody May 6, 2011 at 3:42 am

That sounds WAY better than the long one, I’ll try that first, thanks!

Marella May 17, 2011 at 12:51 am

If you’ve lost your baby weight, but are still struggling with the “mummy tummy”, you should check to see if you have a diastasis. Go to this website: http://www.DiastasisRehab.com. I have a horrible one, and a lot of moms I know are thin, thin, thin, but still have the annoying pooch. If you DO have one, then ab workouts will make it worse until you’ve sealed it up.

Tina July 5, 2011 at 8:59 am

Hello ladies :) I just started the workout. Day 1 level 1 and boy was it tough, I am getting married in 3 months and need to lose 20 lbs. I have a 6 month old baby and I was doing really great, toning up and losing weight, I had lost my 25 lbs of baby weiight plus 10 extra lbs and then I went the complete opposite and gained 12 lbs :( Its so easy to get off track and so hard to get remotivated!! Why is it soo easy to gain weight and so hard to lose weight?? I love all of your comments :) My question is: how many days do you do each level and are they consecutive??? And how long do you do each level before moving up to the next level??? I guess I just really dont know how the program works :/

Melody July 5, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Oh seriously. Gaining weight seems like it happens overnight, but losing it seems like an extremely hard process that must be maintained every single day or you lose it. Ugh.

I pretty much thought I was going to die the first few days. I promise it will start to feel a little easier. A little. :)

The first round I did ten days of each level. I felt pretty comfortable after ten days moving to the next. You could always try the second and if it was just too hard, go back to the first. The second round, I alternated two days of Level 2, two days of Level 3 and then repeat for 30 days. I skipped Level 1 in the second round because it started to feel too easy.

Good luck and congratulations on getting married!

Wanda July 27, 2011 at 6:32 am

I have been doing the 30 day shred for two weeks and have gained 3 pounds!! Very frustrating!!! I think I’m going to quit.

Melody July 27, 2011 at 6:36 am

I’ve actually heard that from a few people that have started, my mom included. I’m not sure if it’s the fact that you are gaining muscle (I’m definitely no expert!). The best way I could see results was in how I felt and how my clothes were fitting. I think for me, the weight was just super ready to come off after stopping nursing my youngest son.

Sorry you’re frustrated! A friend of mine has been at it for awhile and hasn’t really lost much weight, but she says that her clothes fit so much better and she becomes more defined.

Good luck in your decision!