30-Day Shred Round Two update

by Melody on May 23, 2011

For any of you who don’t know, I have been doing the  Jillian Michaels 30-Day Shred since the beginning of this year and have been sharing updates on the blog.  Several of my readers have been doing the workout as well, so I want to have a place for people to share their successes and just to keep me accountable.  For some reason, reporting to you guys (most of whom I’ve never met) makes me drag myself off the couch on those days when I REALLY don’t want to.

I finished the 30 day workout several weeks ago (check out my final update here) and am currently on Day 21 of round two.

I have completely scrapped Level 1 as it just doesn’t seem to get my heart rate up enough.  Truthfully, Level 2 is starting to feel a little easy so I have increased the amount of the hand weights I’m using.  I’m alternating between Level 2 and Level 3 (two days of each), just so I don’t get bored.

So far in Round Two, I have lost five total pounds and I couldn’t even tell you how many inches.  Truly, the best part is how much better I feel.  I feel more comfortable in my clothes and have so much more energy.  For the first time in a LONG time, I’m not harboring those awful feelings of jealousy and thinking negative thoughts like “I wish I looked more like her.  Or her.  Or her”.  I’m feeling good in my own skin and just knowing how hard I worked to get here, makes me feel pretty powerful.

On my last report, I mentioned that I was going to be adding in the ab workout from my husband’s P90X videos.  I’ll be honest and tell you I didn’t do it until today.  It’s called Ab Ripper X, which should have been enough to steer me away.  However, I muscled through the longest 12 minutes of my life.  I will try to add it in 2-3 days per week, just for a little extra help.

Some of you have asked if I have been dieting as well as working out, so I thought I would address that as well.  We haven’t been on any kind of strict diet.  We eat fairly well as it is, lots of lean meats and fresh foods.  We did cut out most fast food and cook our own meals the majority of the time.

One of the biggest things I have noticed is that I don’t want to eat junky food when I’m working out.  All I can think about is how hard I worked during those 20 minutes and to negate that with a candy bar or french fries just seems like a waste of time.  I can feel myself slipping on the days I don’t work out, so I really have been trying to squeeze it in every day.

I know this is pretty personal stuff, but I have had several friends and readers contact me or leave comments and tell me that they love the inspiration and motivation.  So many of you have been generous enough to share your stories as well, which I know has been the reason others have started the work out.  If what we talk about can help just one person get going, I’m all for sharing!

Leave a comment (if you feel comfortable of course) and let us know how you are doing.  Even if you don’t do the 30-day Shred, I’m sure others would love to hear what has worked for you (and maybe what hasn’t?).

Laura May 23, 2011 at 10:23 pm

I just started this..level one isn’t so bad…we will see what level two and three holds ;)

Cerise May 24, 2011 at 1:38 am

Mel. It’s very personal and MUCH appreciated! I have both 30 day shred and p90x. By following you I have convinced myself to not quit! xo

Emily May 24, 2011 at 2:10 am

I really appreciate you sharing your journey! I just got the DVD and plan on joining you!

Emilie McFarlane May 24, 2011 at 4:49 am

I’ve been eating everything and sitting on my butt. It’s not pretty. You are almost motivating me. :o)

Miss Jay May 24, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Melody,
Thanks for sharing your workout journey – I’m super impressed with all your hard work & success! I’ve been moving more slowly. It seems like just when I get a rhythm going, I miss a bunch of days. And I notice even a few days off affect my stamina and strength. It’s tricky for me to know how hard to push it to make sure I’m still moving forward, but at a pace that won’t injure my knees.

I’ve worked my way up through the advanced version of 1 and can do most of the more advanced moves on 2. Rather than move onto 3, I bought real weights last weekend. (I had been using homemade 1 pound weights). After a week off I started Monday level 1 advanced moves with 3 lb weights. It was a challenge!! I made it through again today, but will take tomorrow off.

Since February I have lost 2 lbs, and I don’t know if I’ve lost any inches. My jeans all seem to fit the same so probably not. 95% of the time, I am honestly OK about the weight. I have a bigger goal right now, and as I work toward that goal, the weight will likely continue to slowly come off.

Brook May 25, 2011 at 12:54 am

I’ve been doing the shred since around the second week in April, you can see my quote on Melodys last update I think :)
I lost track of how many days now, my friend started doing it with me and I back tracked a little to let her catch up but I have lost a total of 22.5 inches! Unfortuneatly no pounds lost yet :( but I think I’m toning muscle which I had an awful lot of from when I was younger so I’m balancing out. I have not made it to level 3 yet but will be soon. Probobly in a few days.
Everyone keep up the good work, it is an amazing workout!! Everyone I know that’s tried it has lost weight or inches, it’s wonderful!

Olivia June 22, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Hi fellow shredders. I have been doing the video for 3-4 weeks now( not everyday). So far I have lost 3 lbs, and have gained alot of muscles. I’m going to try and stick it out for 20-30 days consecutively and will report updates. I am also grainy for a 3 mile race on July 04th. This video has sure helped my endurance. Keep up the good work everyone!