RITE AID COUPON POLICY

by Melody on March 25, 2010

I have received several comments and emails recently with question’s about Rite Aid’s coupon policy.  I wanted to touch on a few points to clarify some things.

First things first, go here to check out a copy of their official policy.  You can find this in my Rite Aid 101 post here as well.  This is a very clear and easy to read policy and my best suggestion is to print it out and carry it with you.  Even with this coupon policy out there for everyone to see, it still seems that there are stores and managers who either don’t know the policy or have a different interpretation.

A few things that are addressed:

* You can use an in-ad coupon AND a manufacturer coupon together, even though they both say “manufacturer coupon” on them.

* You can use a BOGO coupon on two items that are on sale BOGO.  Essentially, this makes both items free, but the store is offering one free and the manufacturer will pay for the other.  You will pay any applicable tax.  You can also use one coupon per item on a BOGO sale, even on the second free item.

* If you have a “total purchase” coupon (ie $5 off $25), this will be applied BEFORE any other manufacturer coupons.

There are a few things that aren’t cleared up in the policy that have come up recently.  I sent an email to Rite Aid asking for clarification and here is the information I received:

* Rite Aid’s Video Values coupons are considered “Rite Aid” coupons, therefore CAN be stacked with a manufacturer coupon. I know this has been an issue for several people and there are still stores in our area that won’t allow it, so I’m excited to have this information!

* Two coupons maximum per item.  This means you can not stack an in-ad coupon, a Video Values coupon and a manufacturer coupon together.  You must choose either the in-ad coupon or the Video Values coupon, as they are both considered store coupons.

I hope this clears things up for those of you who have been having trouble.  I would be happy to send a copy of the email I received to anyone who wants to print it out.  Send me your request to beautifulfrugallife@gmail.com.  If you are having particular trouble, you may want to email them yourself, ask them for the official policy and let them know what store has been giving you a hard time.

Good luck and happy shopping!

jenhector March 25, 2010 at 9:30 pm

I'm happy to know you can use a BOGO coupon AND a $ amount off the item coupon together. So I could do (just for example) the cover girl BOGO a couple weeks ago…had there also been $1/1 CG product we could have used one on each CG item and turned it into a $2 money maker??

Melody March 25, 2010 at 10:03 pm

This is the way I understand it: If you buy two items and use a BOGO coupon, the BOGO coupon will attach to one item. You can then use one $ off coupon on the other item. In the Cover Girl example, you could have potentially used a BOGO coupon and one $ off coupon.

If the store is offering a BOGO sale, you can use two coupons, one on each item.

Hope that makes sense!

Anonymous March 26, 2010 at 12:37 am

I have one store in Yakima, ohh they made me mad and I'm not going back there. This girl always questions my cooupon before she even rings them up, I told her I would never by anything that wouldn't go with my coupon, wont you try to scan it and if it beeps then you can question it, oh no she called the manager and ask the manager…the manger asked her to scan it worked… wow it's embarrasing she did the same last time I was there and I'm about to call the corporate on them, they make me feel uncomfortable using coupons in their store. Should I call the corp on the?
rachell N

Melody March 26, 2010 at 1:25 am

Rachell – Was the manager rude too? If not, have you tried talking to them about this girl's attitude? If the manager is giving you a hard time too, then maybe you should call corporate. There is no reason for them to treat you this way. Especially you, because I'm sure you are super sweet to them every time. :)

I hate to say go to a different Rite Aid, but I eventually had to do that here in Tri-Cities because I was tired of dealing with their attitude every time I went into this one particular store. I don't like being made to feel like a criminal when I know there are other stores who welcome my business.

Meghan March 26, 2010 at 2:09 am

I have a question, not necessarily to do with Rite-Aid. What advantage do you see in doing multiple transactions at a store? I noticed that at Rite-aid with the whole diaper deal this week you did 3 different transactions in one trip and was just curious.

Melody March 26, 2010 at 2:35 am

Meghan – At Rite Aid, for example, I plan my transactions around maximizing the "total purchase" coupons. I will get my total just over $20 or $25, depending on the coupon I have, then use the $5 off. If I did it all in one transaction, I would only be able to use one of the $5 coupons (they are limit one per transaction). By doing three transactions, I was able to use three coupons and save $10 extra dollars.

At other stores, I generally don't unless I am earning a catalina coupon in my first transaction that I will use in my second transaction to lower the out of pocket.

Hope that makes sense!

Meghan March 26, 2010 at 5:33 am

Okay, so my Rite Aid has been letting me use more than one in a transaction as long as I hit the overall total. For example, hit $60 dollars, I can use (3) $5/$20 coupons. Just wondered if I was missing something—thanks!

Anonymous March 27, 2010 at 7:17 pm

hey Mel, Yes the manager was kind a rude too both did that to me everytime I would go there, I get sick to my stomach when I see them there…. but I have my favorites Rite aid in town, I only go there when my favorite store runs out of their stuff only bec. they are a little close to where I work, but I told them that I may not come back to their store again.